X pipe ?

X-pipe vs. 2-1-2

Jacob_Royer said:
Would replacing the resonator with a good X pipe sound ricey?
An X-pipe performs the same function as a 2-1-2 exhaust, except that the 2-1-2 does it better, WHEN the single center section is big enough to flow the same as the dual in & dual out.

Since you're contemplating an X-pipe, I assume you are going to use dual exhaust (not the "True Dual" that's thrown around so loosly & incorrectly, here).

I have the Big-Dawg 2-1-2 (Dual 2.5" down pipes, NO cats, No resonator, 3.5" center, Dual 2.5", Dual turbo muffs), Mine is Very Ricey when I hammer on it. A nice side benefit is the D-R-O-N-E between 1800 - 2000 lets me know when I'm at 25 mph in town.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
If you are going with a dual exhaust I highly reccomend s magnaflow 2 in 2 out resonator..It s a preforated x pipe built into a casing with sound softnening insulation.

The idea behibnd an x pipe is to scavenge exhaust impulses..If you do a search here I went into detail about it in one of my posts.

I do not reccomend no resonator

I agree with Damon. Without a resonator, the exhaust notes on these cars tend to get a bit ricey. The Magnaflow DIDO with the Tru-X core allows you to keep a resonator there and add an X-pipe (it's built into the resonator).

-Rod

Back