How many *(&%(*% relays does your car have?!?!

JStudrawa

Well, Ford's scematic says I should have 3 relays on the passenger firewall...

1. WOT - A/C shutoff relay
2. Hydraulic brake pump relay
3. ABS relay

Well, the 89 XR-& has 2. One buried deep in engine? Nope, only 2 connected to the entire wiring harness the shop says. Logically, I have to be missing the WOT one, since I need the ABS and Pump to work. But logic was never Ford's strong suit.

Ed's 89 has all 3. Are the Bird and Cougar different? Am I really missing one? Or is my shop incompetent and can't locate it?

Plus, none have part numbers on them. Can someone help me determine what I have and don't have?

Sorry, frustrated a bit today.

My (late year) 89 and 90 only have 2. The A/C wot is not required on either of my cars. Could have been part of the mid year revision for the 89's which included replacing the cast crank, some cars have egr and some do not, and there are a lot of variations in wiring schematics. If your ac works and you have no relay, don't worry about it.

By the way, you will find relays in the dash, relays in the trunk, relays everywhere...

A/C relay

I don't have the WOT A/C cutout relay either! I have a 1990, made in May of that year; whoa my baby is 16! I have looked all over for that relay and it is nowhere to be found. It must have been deleted from the design at some early point.

I don't have the WOT A/C cutout relay either! I have a 1990, made in May of that year; whoa my baby is 16! I have looked all over for that relay and it is nowhere to be found. It must have been deleted from the design at some early point.

My 89 doesnt have the relay either & I belive it to be a later build (I'd have to check date) as I remember my dad saying one time it had the later (forged?) crankshaft, one way to confirm if theres a relay elsewhere would be to mash the throttle with the A/C on & see if it cuts out. I've driven other Fords that have it & you can tell when it cuts off, I could swear driving the 89 SC back from LA one time I hammered it & A/C did cut out but since I've had the car the A/C is low on charge so I havent tried it:)

>By the way, you will find relays in the dash, relays in the trunk, relays everywhere...

Don't forget the fan relays in the IRCM....

>By the way, you will find relays in the dash, relays in the trunk, relays everywhere...

Don't forget the fan relays in the IRCM....

And if you look under the hood of my red car, you'll find a relay to activate the alternator voltage sense circuit. But that was my handy work. It keeps the alternator regulator from draining the battery and keeps more $$ in my pocket as I didn't have to buy a new alt which otherwise works just fine.

BTW, tracking that one down was fun..

Back