Increased penalties for street racers in Canada

Grims95SC

It has yet to be passed by Parliment but its pretty much a sure thing to pass. This is the meat of it:
First offence = 1 year driving ban
Second offence = 2 year driving ban
Third offence = 3 year blah blah
Fouth Offence = Permaban
Also an extra 4 years has been added to sentances if convicted of criminal neglagence causing death or bodily harm.
All of these are minimums, depending on the situation, the pentalties could be worse. I think this is long overdue. I see people at least twice a week doing it around here, hell, I also know many here have bragged about their street races. When on average 5 die per year in Toronto with many more injured from street racing, it needs to stop.

those laws are retarded....

i would rather street race and run from the cops than abide by those stupid laws. A ONE YEAR BAN FOR FIRST OFFENSE?!?!?!?!?!?!

Thats ridiculous

If they really wanted to stop street racing they would build a track and charge people to use it.This is just grandstanding by the pc's.

As police practice/statistic shows that increasing the punishment doesn't stop individual from commiting the crime. It makes sense in a way, the last thing I am would be thinking about while street racing someone is how high my insurance would be or how many points would I get if cop catches me :rolleyes:

If you would rather street race, risk killing yourself and innocent bystanders, then run from the cops then you DESERVE at least the penalty layed out by those laws. Sure you may lose your license for a year but if you KILL someone with your stupidity they are dead FOREVER!!! Think about it before you spout off such stupidity.... the cops WILL catch you sooner or later. You run from them and just ask for more problems and run a higher risk of killing someone. :rolleyes:

xThunderbirdSCx said:

i would rather street race and run from the cops than abide by those stupid laws. A ONE YEAR BAN FOR FIRST OFFENSE?!?!?!?!?!?!

Thats ridiculous
Is this a joke?

92strokedbird said:
If they really wanted to stop street racing they would build a track and charge people to use it.This is just grandstanding by the pc's.

yes! why dont they build tracks to give peopel somewhere to go ? as of now there no place to go unless you want to drive 60 miles to run on a track once or twice... they build skate parks for people to skate, why not but a strip of road for people to race ?

Before I left Okinawa, they had instituted a 1 yr prison sentence, if you were caught...I would rather take the 1 yr with no license.

They are also trying to make the crusher law, since 2 cars that were caught street racing not too long ago, got crushed on canadian TV today, this is gonna blow.

something to add...

distroying someones personal property.

How is that fair, I worked my ~~~ off and paid for a car, I worked my ~~~ off and paid for car mods, and then i break the highway traffic act and you distroy my personal property?

I impose that anyone caught with the manufactureing of drugs in their home to have it burned down or bull dosed on site.

Or I impose that if some one is found to be cheating the government or breaking laws with their business they will disassemble the business and distroy all of that companies assests.

I think its only Ontario who has the car crushing policy. I know that not one car has been crushed by our Provincial gov't or RCMP here.

drummerzrok24 said:
They are also trying to make the crusher law, since 2 cars that were caught street racing not too long ago, got crushed on canadian TV today, this is gonna blow.

something to add...

distroying someones personal property.

How is that fair, I worked my ~~~ off and paid for a car, I worked my ~~~ off and paid for car mods, and then i break the highway traffic act and you distroy my personal property?

I impose that anyone caught with the manufactureing of drugs in their home to have it burned down or bull dosed on site.

Or I impose that if some one is found to be cheating the government or breaking laws with their business they will disassemble the business and distroy all of that companies assests.

No ~~~~. Let's get tough on kids who show poor judgement once in awhile. That really shows equity and intelligence. People getting killed street racing? Are you kidding ME? So 5 people got killed in the GTA with population of over 5 MILLION PEOPLE last year in street racing related incidents. Do you know that the national average for traffic fatalities is 14.4/100K population? Do you know that means 743 expected traffic deaths per year in the GTA? Do you realize that 5 deaths represents less than 1% of the total traffic deaths are attributed to street racing? DO YOU KNOW THAT 40% OF ALL TRAFFIC DEATHS ARE ALCOHOL RELATED????? I don't see anyone destroying the personal property of drunk drivers. It's the same mentality shown down here when police destroy the stereo systems of people who drive with the music too loud.

No, that's because its socially acceptable to drink and get drunk and so offenders are protected from the full force of the law. Before you guys get all self righteous on us here you better be able to swear that you've NEVER driven a car when you might be intoxicated and you have NEVER used excessive speed. EVER. You guys make it sound like you should never ever floor your accelerator!

Who's to say some over zealous cop might see you spin your tires or hear you rev your motor and charge you with "street racing". You don't have to be lined up with someone to get charged with street racing. You are being very naive if you don't think so. :eek:

Omg

Thats ridiculous

OK, some of you people obviously just don't get it!!!!!! I really dont give a damn what you spent making your car the fastest thing since Don Garlits. I dont give a damn if your sensibilities have been bruised. Get you ~~~ off the street if you want to race your cars. We can talk about the percentages all we want, but lo and behold, it all comes down to the poor man/woman/child whose life was snuffed out by a poor decision. The recent article in the TorontoSun re: the couple whose lives have been ruined by the innappropriate actions of a few, clearly shows that the message just isnt getting out there. Ive held these peoples hands as they are dying, ive looked into the eyes of their families as they try to figure out why? Have you ever seen a child mangled in the back seat of a car who was guilty of nothing more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time while some JACKASS, or a couple of JACKASSES decided that the public road was their own personal property and the rights of others just weren't worth a damn? Get your sorry asses off the public roads, spend a few bucks, go to the track. Dont bitch and whine to me about how far away it is, how much it costs, WHINE< WHINE< WHINE..................
Of course we have all used excessive speed at times. And as a young man, I did race my car on the street, not having anyone there to tell me how stupid the whole thing was!!!!! And before my right side of my brain caught up with the left, I will say that as a young man, I did drive my car while intoxicated. And I will say what a fool I was for doing so.
Dont even get me started on drinking and driving.
I have heard time and again about building skate board parks and alike, and why dont we have more tracks and the two having nothing to do with each other. I have heard a lot of stupid things on this board, and a few on this thread are the most rididulous and irresponsible I have ever witnessed. I am ashamed and saddened.
No apologies...............

Last edited:
coolhand said:

Thats ridiculous

OK, some of you people obviously just don't get it!!!!!! I really dont give a damn what you spent making your car the fastest thing since Don Garlits. I dont give a damn if your sensibilities have been bruised. Get you ~~~ off the street if you want to race your cars. We can talk about the percentages all we want, but lo and behold, it all comes down to the poor man/woman/child whose life was snuffed out by a poor decision. The recent article in the TorontoSun re: the couple whose lives have been ruined by the innappropriate actions of a few, clearly shows that the message just isnt getting out there. Ive held these peoples hands as they are dying, ive looked into the eyes of their families as they try to figure out why? Have you ever seen a child mangled in the back seat of a car who was guilty of nothing more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time while some JACKASS, or a couple of JACKASSES decided that the public road was their own personal property and the rights of others just weren't worth a damn? Get your sorry asses off the public roads, spend a few bucks, go to the track. Dont bitch and whine to me about how far away it is, how much it costs, WHINE< WHINE< WHINE..................
Of course we have all used excessive speed at times. And as a young man, I did race my car on the street, not having anyone there to tell me how stupid the whole thing was!!!!! And before my right side of my brain caught up with the left, I will say that as a young man, I did drive my car while intoxicated. And I will say what a fool I was for doing so.
I have heard time and again about building skate board parks and alike, and why dont we have more tracks and the two having nothing to do with each other. I have heard a lot of stupid things on this board, and a few on this thread are the most rididulous and irresponsible I have ever witnessed. I am ashamed and saddened.

Hear! Hear!!

Frit

coolhand said:

well people skate on the streets and on sidewalk in front of shopping malls and stores and run into people and hurt little old ladies and throw trash everywhere they go so they made laws about no skateboarding where posted so they made skates parks and everyone can skate there and do what they want. no I'm not a skater and i don't like skaters either ;) i ride BMX

people want to walk and ride bikes so they build trails to hike and ride on.

kids need a place to play so they build parks.

people need to get there cars fixed so they build mechanic shops.

people need a place to drink. why ? when drinking at a place you have to drive to and obviously you have to drive home drunk and can kill a Innocent family or person just to get drunk ? well there seems to be 2 bars on every single corner of the street, the biggest killer of Innocent people.

people wanna race. so build a track ? yes. build a track so one of the biggest hobby's out there can have a place to go.

Last edited:
coolhand said:

Thats ridiculous

While i agree, in a perfect world, Dalke has a very good point.

How many of you regale your friends with "OMFG, dude! I got SOO ripped last Friday night, and we..."???? It's cool to drink and get drunk.

Bottom line: Road racing doesn't kill a lot of people. Much less then ecll phone dialers and women putting on make-up in the car. Yes, we do need to minimize ANYTHING that causes needless deaths. They should balance out the subjectiveness of the law though, it's very loosely defined for "street racing".

You do make a perfect point though, about "people don't give a damn about other people's rights". That's America though. Harley riders don't care that their bikes are too loud and annoy people. Atlanta drivers don't care abuot holding up the right lane as they try to make a left across 4 lanes of traffic. Cell phone users don't care that you can hear their conversations in line at Starbucks. Partiers don't care that they drive drunk. Dog owners don't care that their dogs ~~~~ in your yard. Smokers don't care that their smoke makes you cough. Etc, etc, etc.

If people were a little more considerate in everything they do, a lot of problems would go away.

people need a place to drink. why ? when drinking at a place you have to drive to and obviously you have to drive home drunk and can kill a Innocent family or person just to get drunk ? well there seems to be 2 bars on every single corner of the street, the biggest killer of Innocent people.

Who says you have to drive home from the bar after you get drunk? Either take a cab or have someone pick you up. And if the cabs too expensive, take some of the monet you spend on speed and use it for a cab. Damn, its and either or thing. http://www.madd.org/

The validity of the arguement for any type of street racing becomes moot after they bury your family, as does that of drinking and driving.

In my 25+ yrs of paramedicine, ive never seen a skateboarder wipe out a family of four , I dont care how fast he boards. Stop using that stupid example. I do so hate it when people fill an arguement with trite, absurd opinions. If you can prove to me that skateboarders are causing unnecessary deaths, then you have a point.

Back