Did I do this?

shadow357x2

Ok got another anny yesterday and dot the heads off and found what looked like may be some extreme heat evidence on the drivers side manifold (see pic)
Upon getting the drivers side head off I looked at the gasket and seen this (other pic) I thought that I was careful in pulling the heads so that I didnt do any damage and could find the overheating and back pressure in the radiator and coolant tank.
Looking at the ring that is pulled back I didnt see any evidence of corrosion that usually is typical for one to go. CHecked the oil and no trace of any water at all. Car was just running hot at cruising speeds (withen 5 minutes) and blowing off water, which is leading me to believe that the problem is on the exhaust side , hence the white on the manifold.

Any ideas?
gonna have the heads checked anyway but was just curious

S

Last edited:
most likely, ur head bolts must have untorqued and the head lifted a little with the boost and pressure. Happened to me when i didnt torque the head bolts down good enough, just use some new head bolts and a good quality torque wrench with NO EXTENSIONS OR ADAPTERS! and yes have ur heads pressure checked and valve jobbed!.

I didnt put them on originally, I go the car that way. All I did was do the tear down so far. And it looks like the dum dum ran straight water for awhile too from the looks of the cooling system.
And heres the head off that side. lot of carbon build up.

S

Last edited:
hmmm then it should of been nothing, most likely something to do with water and crap build up probablt from splashing

I was thinking at first maybe I did it when pulling the head off, but after thimkig about it , that ring had to have been weak anyway to split like it did. Maybe Im wrong but am hoping anyway. I did check the cylinder wall and they appear to be good, they still have the cross hatches in them and the top groove is almost non existant. Surpisingly goo shape so far for and gine that has 240k on it and still the original fomoco gaskets to boot.
Ill be breaking the bootm end down tommorrow and checking the bearings but I believe that they should be in good shape being this is what I believe to be an exhaust side blown hg. Looks good from the outside as for the oil, I havent found any trace whatsoever of any water residue in the oil. I never even changed the oil after running it due to the fact I knew what I was in for (rebuild).

S

Looks like the car was running extremely rich. You might want to look into that after you get the car running again.

Jerry

The split metal sealing ring looks to be one of your problems, which is not uncommon and could cause the pressure in the cooling system. But I would also agree that you are running very rich and that you should check into that as well. Not sure if the discoloration on the manifold is because of something burning off of it or excessive heat. I bet when you figure out why it is so rich it will be fine.

The white on the manifold is a tell tale sign of coolant in the exhaust. I learned that one working at a stealership. Not sure what it was because it usually came up where the collector was and went up the underside of the exhaust where there was NO leak...Every time (yes 100%) there was a blown HG on that side.

Chris

Yea I noticed that it was running rich when I got it, but didnt think it was that bad. Found a few vacum lines cracked and the maf tube cracked also. I am thinking thats where the problem is.
As to the coolant part I forgot to say it was peeing water/coolant out of the tail pipes. Got the bottom end down this morning and checked the bearings, I could believe that they were in such good shape, just a minimal amount of wear on the rods and mains. plasti gauged them and they are still withen specs, but Ill change them anyway due to the mileage and the fact that I already got it down.

S

Back