No IC on the pontiac SC

Dahoopd

I saw a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix in the scrap yard today and it had a SC on it. I did a double take. There was no IC, why? The snout on that thing looked like it was 10 feet long.

I think they have an air/water intercooler which is why you didn't see all of the plumbing that you see in ours.

Had a GTP and had the tranny go on me with 21K miles on it. :mad:

2K later the car put down 221whp and 338rwtq with just a smaller pulley, exhaust and a CAI.

Always wish GM would have made those cars RWD and with a stronger tranny.

BlownV6 said:
Had a GTP and had the tranny go on me with 21K miles on it. :mad:

2K later the car put down 221whp and 338rwtq with just a smaller pulley, exhaust and a CAI.

Always wish GM would have made those cars RWD and with a stronger tranny.

So whats the differance? Why would a pulley and CAI do that well on them yet 14k in parts nets 6.5 horse power on the bird. All kidding aside, you can spend oodles and the SC has a tough time of 250hp.

Dahoopd said:
So whats the differance? Why would a pulley and CAI do that well on them yet 14k in parts nets 6.5 horse power on the bird. All kidding aside, you can spend oodles and the SC has a tough time of 250hp.
Only took me about $1,000 to make 270rwhp.

The GM 3.8 and the Ford 3.8 are completely different engines.

Plus, one is alot newer and technology is alot better.

they run less boost more compression and more cam than we do but the quik ones run water to air ic units and snow inj

CMac89 said:
Only took me about $1,000 to make 270rwhp.

Not too take the subject way off topic. I have spent waaaay more than that and my guestimates from reading the members forum and input from members. Taint gonna give me what you got.

Back to the subject...so the SC's are pretty much the same. Its the combination that gives them the edge. Other than tranny problems and the front wheel drive, they would pretty much out do an SC with less boost if they had the same drivetrain and body

Dahoopd said:

Probably a lot. I imagine the cam and heards are a lot better.

Dahoopd said:
Not too take the subject way off topic. I have spent waaaay more than that and my guestimates from reading the members forum and input from members. Taint gonna give me what you got.
Custom exhaust ($400), MP inlet ($500), regular 94/95 blower ($200 on EBay), pulley ($80), CAI ($30).

My bad, It was $1210 +/-. 270rwhp 388rwtq.

damn I have a 70mm bbk on my SC and all other parts are stock massaged
I'm running a home ported set of heads a set of home ported exh manifolds high flow cats with smoothed out down pipes, no 90 deg bend,

30 lbs injectors stock 70 mm maf with center post cut out and sample drilled to 15/32 stock 89 5spd cam I ran a best of 13:98 in 1/4 mile .

no CIA no dbl ic no mp inlet no raised top, no under drive pulleys but i do have a home made 10% crank pulley. dont know my hp only that it performs great,

its not the hp as much as the driver and matching components.

I have enough parts i make to drop my time alot i will try them out,

but it dont take alot of money just homework.

the Pontiac is not a really better engine its just made to run good naturally aspirated then blown to improve it our rely on the blower to run strong .

+ they have a better cam profile hey our SC,s are old school .

Ive raced and beat many Pontiac's when my SC was stock.

problem is we as SC owners follow a recipe and its not a perfect menu for sucsess .

we tend to spend on parts we dont need we come factory with cold air induction and it flows more than enough for the sc im still running stock airbox and tube.

70mm is more than enough for 270 hp 30 lbs can make 300 hp,

and a good exh with ported manifolds can go far Jim Demmitt ran 13:08 with stock ported exh manifolds and without a tune.

my total out of pocket for my sc is $200 in parts to go 13:98 and alot of personal time no $$$ just my time and labor.

At 270rwhp my 30 #ers pretty much maxed out. The A/F stayed about 12.8:1.

This was with stock TB, IC, and MAF. The blower wasn't ported either.

I could have easily ran a 13.30-13.50.

go back and get the SC off the pontiac, take the rotor pack off. its coated with teflon, send it to me! well just send me the whole SUPERCHARGER!

GTP's are pretty fast for what they are.. I saw one at the track with mild mods put the hurt on lightnings and mustang GT's all day (1/8th mile)..

hmm ive beat every one ive raced like 6 of them maybe they where the not so good ones. i usually pull a few cars on em.

i believe you manny, seeing as how i beat one too, stock, with my home made hot air intake... dripping oil like a mofo, slipping transmission, and this way way before i started modding my car....

Last edited:
Your points are valid, but with all due respect, not everyone has the tools, equiptment, shop space, or even the technical know how to make their own parts.

mannysc said:
I'm running a home ported set of heads a set of home ported exh manifolds...smoothed out down pipes ... stock 70 mm maf with center post cut out and sample drilled to 15/32...a home made 10% crank

my total out of pocket for my sc is $200 in parts to go 13:98 and alot of personal time no $$$ just my time and labor.

Back