What happens when your limited slip is broken?

Jeremy_K

I was just wondering what the syptoms for a bad LSD would be. Lately when I give it hard throttle it will vibrate/chatter when the AOD shifts to second. This happens especially when I get on it going around a corner or when the tires chirp going in a straight line going into second. It sounds like a seal barking. That's the best way I can describe it. If it's not the LSD, What else could it be?

Not sure what the sound is...Usually they just get weak and start to lose traction on one side when you slide the tires. Are you sure the sound is coming from the rear end? Is it hopping when it does it? Is the tranny still woking right? One other thing I have seen before is the gears themselves break and it causes the thing to act like it is shifting hard. So hard, it made the dash jump (looked like it was seperate from the truck) when it shifted into second.

Chris

Last edited:
Chris, It doesn't seem to lose traction any more than normal. It's hard to say if it's in the rear end or not. The tranny seems to be shifting normal. When I go around a left corner and it shifts to 2nd while weight is on the right rear wheel, It will kind of shudder and make that seal barking noise.

Only turning left? I would venture to say that you have a bushing that is bad or a bolt that is broken. Can you really feel it or is it a sound? Try holding it into first:rolleyes: and see if that changes it. Also, check your tranny mount and U-joints.

Chris

Mostly it's when I'm turning left around a corner. This morning it did it when I was going WOT in a straight line. It did it at the same time the tires chirped going into second. It almost feels if something is trying to seize up. I'll try holding it in first and see what happens.

Sounds like it's low on fluid and the clutches are chattering because of a lack of lube. Check it.

Jeff

These are my exact symptoms I am having in my 94 5 speed. I checked fluid and it was full. I added friction modifier just for good maser and nothing. I have replaced all 4 break rotors, calipers, and pads along with left wheal barring. This is only when I turn left regardless of speed and is not wheel hop. Or dust shields scraping the rotors :confused: :confused: :confused: I have been chasing this sense it started 3 weeks ago. I have had it on the lift at least 5 times for hours on end looking and checking for malfunctions to no avail. :confused:

sounds like wheel bearing(s)

These are my exact symptoms I am having in my 94 5 speed. I checked fluid and it was full. I added friction modifier just for good maser and nothing. I have replaced all 4 break rotors, calipers, and pads along with left wheal barring. This is only when I turn left regardless of speed and is not wheel hop. Or dust shields scraping the rotors :confused: :confused: :confused: I have been chasing this sense it started 3 weeks ago. I have had it on the lift at least 5 times for hours on end looking and checking for malfunctions to no avail. :confused:

I would check all wheel bearings...I had one sounded like rear and turns out it was front...just a thought

Their is absolutely no play in all 4 wheel bearings and the sound is diffidently coming form the rear. I have ruled out almost every thing but the rear end and half shafts :confused: :confused: I am thinking that is all it can be :( should I swap out my cast iron rear end housing with an aluminum housing while I am taking it down any ways or are the cast iron ones stronger? I have not searched this yet but I know aluminum IRS diffs exist. Also where can I get HD CV shafts?

Dont CV shafts snap,crackle and pop when going bad?

for the most part they do...

remember that cobras had the aluminum housing and you can get a cover that is stronger than stock if you are worried

I dont like to just replace things if I dont know for sure unless I know that I want to upgrade anyway

Add 1/2 a quart of transmission fluid before you do anything else. This is why I suggest a deep pan on any aod.
Alan

I have a 5 speed no AOD here :D I should have clarified what I meant by check the fluid and added friction modifier. What I meant by this was I checked both tyranny and rear end fluid and added friction modifier to both of them for good measure.

I also do not like replacing parts unless I am cretin that they are not functioning properly or fall under the category of upgrading. In this case I have no clue how to test CV shafts or rear ends :confused:
and thay bolth fall in that category :D

Where is a good place to acquire a good locking diff?
Also where can I get my hands on HD CV shafts?

cv shafts are tricky...I believe most say just get the ones that autozone sells or what have you...I believe any aftermarket arent worth it

Diff is easy...I like ebay...you can even find heavy duty rebuilt ford diffs if you want...most suggest the auburn pro 542080 diff to be best bang for buck ~$400 at Jegs

cv shafts are tricky...I believe most say just get the ones that autozone sells or what have you...I believe any aftermarket arent worth it

Diff is easy...I like ebay...you can even find heavy duty rebuilt ford diffs if you want...most suggest the auburn pro 542080 diff to be best bang for buck ~$400 at Jegs

Dave told me he got his from autozone, thats good enough for me. im not pushing near as much hp as him and his are doing fine so far.

Back