what do you think I will run ??

thundrburd

I am planning on putting on long tube headers, true dual , raised top, and have a ic fan with stock ic, and cai, so what do you guys think I would run at the track, I want to get gears but scp says I need to reprogram ~~~~ , and it just seems like a pain , but I do want them eventually, anyway what do you guys think I would run with everything but the gears,

Tony

I do not think one would need a reprogram for gears. I would definately do some gears. If auto, 3.55:1. They make the car feel lighter.

Mike

Edit: oh a 95, maybe you would need to reprogram. But regardless the gears are a good upgrade.

Last edited:
does anyone know how much I would be looking at to put the gears and get it reprogramed and all that good ~~~~ ?

If you have an auto and your SC is a 95 go with 3.73 gears. I would say 4.10's but you have a 4R70W which uses a lower first gear ratio than an AOD.

Long tubes would be cool, but not worth the $795 for the amount of stuff that you don't have upgraded on your car. Why not do a cat back exhaust, high flow cats, and port the lip off the bottom of the exhaust manifolds (there's pics on here somewhere) they flow enough to support 400 hp so you really don't NEED headers unless you want them for the looks.

I'd say instead of blowing $795 on the headers, put that money towards a 76mm MAF, 70mm or 75mm TB, 3/4" raised top, 5% pulley, and you'd still have the money left for the gear install. I paid around $400 at a dealer to have the ASE Master tech set up my rear end and swap gears. That was labor. I had about $189 in gears and maybe another $85-90 in a trac-lok rebuild parts kit. So figure around $600 to do the gears right. The only thing would be the speedometer will be off and since your trans is computer controlled it might try to shift early. The dealer could reflash it when they do the gears but you'd be better off getting a custom tune to take care of that and to correct the A/F to match your MAF and intake and stuff. I would also search TCCoA.com there is an article called Jerry Mod for the 4R70W and it will make it shift nice and firm it will chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift. Or you could buy a lentech 4r70w valve body.

If I was you, I'd buy the gears and buy a brand new trac-lok unit from ford because your SC has an open diff right now. By installing the trac-lok you'd get both wheels powered but still able to turn. It would then become a limited slip rearend and you could turn the trac-control off and just nail the gas and not worry about putting your one tire up in smoke.

Here We Go Again!!!

thundrburd said:
I am planning on putting on long tube headers, true dual.....Tony
There's the "True Dual" again :rolleyes: So you're NOT going to use a resonator or X-pipe?

68COUGAR

Computer to correct Gear/Speedo problem?

thundrburd said:
I want to get gears but scp says I need to reprogram ~~~~.....Tony
How did we ever survive before we had to reprogram the computer for every little thing. Once I actually sneezed inside my car, now I need to reprogram the computer!!! :mad:

Can the gear/speedo problem be corrected by reprogramming the computer? I thought you just changed the ($2.00) speedo gear, to correct for new gears.

68COUGAR

well I was thinking about putting an x pipe in it, and if I port the stock exhaust manifolds would it still be safe to put more air into it ?? if so that sounds like I will get more power out of doing that as instead of doing the headers

More Air = More Fuel

thundrburd said:
well I was thinking about putting an x pipe in it, and if I port the stock exhaust manifolds would it still be safe to put more air into it ?? if so that sounds like I will get more power out of doing that as instead of doing the headers
IC, so you are NOT talking about "True Duals"!!! You're talking about a Regular Dual Exhaust, which is different than "True Duals". It's always a good idea to "Do the Exhaust FIRST"!!! If you have a cork in your exhaust, you will not see much gain from any mods upstream from the cork.

Once you gave a good free flowing exhaust, you shouldn't have to worry about putting more air into the engine, AS LONG AS you have the accompanying mods. Remember, with more air, you need more fuel. There are some mods that you can get away with, w/o reprograming the computer.

68COUGAR

Personally, I'd do 3.55's for a 94/5 automatic along with a trac-loc differential which is what I did do on my 94 automatic.

68COUGAR said:
How did we ever survive before we had to reprogram the computer for every little thing. Once I actually sneezed inside my car, now I need to reprogram the computer!!! :mad:

Can the gear/speedo problem be corrected by reprogramming the computer? I thought you just changed the ($2.00) speedo gear, to correct for new gears.

68COUGAR

I LOVE IT! ....and totally agree!

68COUGAR said:

68COUGAR

On a 4R70W equipped MN12, gear swaps that are over two steps typically require alteration to the shift points. Otherwise the car will tend to nail the rev limiter before shifting. If Tony decides to go with 3.55's or even 3.73's, he should be alright without a tune. Any gear ratio change is going to require swapping the speedo gear, of course.

-Rod

There's the "True Dual" again So you're NOT going to use a resonator or X-pipe?

It would be politically correct to say I am running an x pipe/hpipe/equalization tube in my true dual exhaust...Just an FYI

Since when have you been PC?

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
It would be politically correct to say I am running an x pipe/hpipe/equalization tube in my true dual exhaust
Damon, your new PC attitude terrifys me. Did you have a Near-Death experience in the recent past?

68COUGAR

I was planning on I what I am assuming would be true dual exhaust, seperate tube for each manifold into a resonator or an x pipe, then back to mufflers, and rod, so what would I need to put 373 gears in it, I am trying to get an idea of what it would cost to get them done because I would like to get them as soon as possible, thanks

Tony

Tony,

A "True Dual" exhaust setup means that each bank of cylinders has its own dedicated exhaust pipe, and that the exhaust from each bank never crosses paths with the exhaust from the opposite bank (2 pipes without any crossover, y-pipe, etc.). The setup you're talking about is a regular old dual exhaust. I'd recommend using a Magnaflow 18" resonator with the built in X-pipe in the stock resonator location. If you want the exhaust to be pretty loud, don't install any rear mufflers. You can come by and hear this exact setup on my Splitport 94 LX, as it would sound nearly identical on your SC.

The easiest way to put a set of 3.73's in your car would be to buy a centersection (pumpkin) with the 3.73's and Trac-Loc already installed and set up. I know that Teeps over at tccoa.com builds them, and you'll also see them in the for sale forums from time to time.

The alternative would be to purchase the 3.73 gears and either a new Trac-Loc or a rebuild kit, and take the parts to someone local to have the rear end assembled.

You should be able to get by without a chip for now. You will need to buy the correct speedometer gear from a Ford dealership. See the speedo gear calculator in the FAQ section of this website to determine which gear you will need.

-Rod

Use the orange Gear

I just installed the new Speedo Gear for my 95 SC and it has the 3.73 gears.

First, the 3.73's help the car jump off the line great and still get pretty decent gas mileage and RPM's for higway use. I run around 2400 rpm's at 75-80 MPH. The 3.55's would be better for the higway mileage, but a little slower off the starting line for Drag racing.

Second, the gear color is Orange for 95 Auto w/ 3.73's and I bought mine from the local Ford Place and paid 10.38 with tax and all. Much better feeling knowing your MPH is accurate.

Third you cannot reprogram the Speedo settings in a 94-95 in the EEC, it doesn't have that capability, so you have to go with the gears change.

Hope it helps.

Smitty

ok, thanks rod, I will have to come by so I can hear it, I want to get the exhaust done as soon as possible so I can start adding more mod and not worry about blowing the motor, so I guess I need to find some ported manifolds.

smitty, do you remember about how much it ran you to get the gears and everything installed on your car ?

Tony,

If you're going to buy a set of ported manifolds, make sure that you're getting a set from a 94+ unless you're going to install them at the same time as the new exhaust. The angle on the passenger side flange changed between 93 and 94.

An even better alternative to ported manifolds would be a set of 96-97 Tbird/Cougar 3.8L NA tubular manifolds. They are basically tubular shorty headers, which flow even better than ported 89-95 manifolds.

-Rod

Back