my car burps!!!! and my tach dies

swissboy97

my car has just started "burping" after i turn it off.:confused: it doesnt matter how long its run for -10 sec or 10 min- it still does the same thing. i think it might be dieseling, but i thought that occured for a longer duration. the sound is almost like a large loud belch and last for 1-5 seconds. i talked to a friend and he said it might be the pistons settling all the way down like they should when the car is turned off, but im doubtful. the car runs fine otherwise and i notice no performance decrease. if anyone has a clue let me know!!

on a seperate note, my tach has been dieing for a couple of weeks. the car will be running and then all of a sudden the tack will go to zero and stay that way for a while. sometimes if i gun it itll pop back working and other times it just start working miracously. could it be a loose wire in the instrument panel? any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

alex

Your iac is pooched, go get a new one from ford, and get it from ford only. The ones from parts stores won't fit properly

As for your tach, is your car running correctly outside of the tach not working? It could be your cam sensor or you DIS, but usually that's associated with car bucking or other symptoms. I guess it's possible one of them could still be on its way out, though.

Dale

i talked to a friend and he said it might be the pistons settling all the way down like they should when the car is turned off

To solve your problem, you need to make new friends that aren't complete idiots.

Paul

iac fix

just called ford, new iac is $93 which isnt that much compared to other parts ive had to replace. will replacing the iac fix the burping or the irradic tach or both? the car runs great- idling, driving, and accelerating even when the tach isnt working.

thanks for the quick response,

alex

The IAC will not touch the tach. It only affects idle and can start make a "honking goose" sound when it's on its way out.

As for the tach, just leave it alone if you want. It could just be a loose connection. But if you start having driveability problems, like bucking or missing or whatever, look at the cam sensor or the DIS.

Dale

For what it's worth....I had a 91 SC that had the "dropping tach" problem. I removed the DIS, applied a new fresh coat of that white electrical jizz and reinstalled the same DIS. Never had the problem again.

Micah

everything worked!

replaced the IAC today and no more burping/goose honk when i turn off the engine!!:D also put the "white electrical jizz" micah recomended and no more irradic tach and she runs great.

thanks for all the great advice

alex

Back