Rebuild or Remanufactured Engine?

BlownV6

Car has 130K miles on it and i'm wondering if i should just pull it and rebuild it now or wait till she blows and buy a remanufactured engine. How much more should i expect? How strong are these engines? SC performance has a longblock for 1900 and it's very appealing. Thanks guys

are you planning on building your motor ?? if so I would say rebuild and do it right from the beginning, if you are planning on just leaving it stock and not tearing into the engine then I would say to get a remanufactured motor, since there is less down time as apposed to tearing it down and having everything done, and if I recall the prices would have been close to the same, just my 2 cents

Tony

thundrburd said:
are you planning on building your motor ?? if so I would say rebuild and do it right from the beginning, if you are planning on just leaving it stock and not tearing into the engine then I would say to get a remanufactured motor, since there is less down time as apposed to tearing it down and having everything done, and if I recall the prices would have been close to the same, just my 2 cents

Tony

Tony,

Who offer's forged rebuild kits for our engines? Any site vendor's? Thinking about S2 heads so i don't need a whole longblock. I will be doing the work myself.

Honestly I dont know for sure, if I recall though , our engines have forged cranks and forged rods, but again , I dont know for sure who sells a rebuild kit, you could check supercoupe performance, or even email them and ask if they know, sorry I couldnt be more help

Tony

All internal parts of the SC motor are forged aside from the pistons.

Northern Auto Parts will build a kit for you. See this thread:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72185&highlight=northern+auto

www.supercoupeperformance.com will sell you a shortblock.
www.spinningwheels-sc.com will also sell you a shortblock.

Give either one a call as it may not be listed on their site.

If the headgaskets have never been replaced before, expect them to fail at any moment...or never.
If they've been replaced before, expect them to fail at any moment, or never.

As such there isn't any guarentee for how long the gaskets will last. It's more a question of how you drive it. If you can afford to have the car down for a few weeks, I'd just run it until it needs the work and spend some money on new suspension bushings, ball joints, and the like.

I am considering a 4.3 stroker from Super6 Motorsports

From what I've read, and in talking to gary I believe his name was at Super6, it sounds like a bullet proof, howbeit somewhat pricey way to go. I first thought about a Ford reman, but the stroker would be really sweet. :D

Car has 130K miles on it and i'm wondering if i should just pull it and rebuild it now or wait till she blows and buy a remanufactured engine.

I guess my main question is how is the engine running now? If you aren't having any problems then just do the proper routine maintenance and enjoy the car. Once you start tearing thru the engine to prevent some failure that hasn't happened yet, you may end up in a bad place. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it!)

Now, on the other hand, if the engine has been diagnosed to have problems that will result in a catastrophic failure, that's another story all together...

LJGriggs said:
I guess my main question is how is the engine running now? If you aren't having any problems then just do the proper routine maintenance and enjoy the car. Once you start tearing thru the engine to prevent some failure that hasn't happened yet, you may end up in a bad place. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it!)

Now, on the other hand, if the engine has been diagnosed to have problems that will result in a catastrophic failure, that's another story all together...

........and if the engine has a brand new hole the size of your fist in the oil pan, then what would you say??

Ira

........and if the engine has a brand new hole the size of your fist in the oil pan, then what would you say??

I guess I would say that would qualify as a problem likely to result in a catastrophic failure...;)

130k? ill say this, i disassembled a much abused 89 3.8 SC motor last year. donuts, burnouts, the HGs finally popped. there was virtually no wear in the cylinder bores, crosshatch was still in the cylinder bore and the rings were still nice and tight. i wouldnt do anything other than studs and head gaskets

If you have 130K and haven’t blown the HG’s and if it’s been halfway cared for I would just do a top end job. The lower will go for quite some time…

Back