Lentec valve body

kenewagner

Got my new valve body in today. I have to have it in tonight if I am going to have the car ready for Kansas City this weekend. I hate cutting things so close. I would have perfered to have some time to work out any bugs that might arise. I will post my results when its in. Everyone I have talked to says it will be one of the best things I can do for the car. We will see

Ken

Congratulations on the LenTech. Hope your install goes easy. I've heard you have to drill a hole for the OD lockout somewhere.

what "calibration" did you go with?

Definatelly keep us posted, thats the next upgrade for my 89. This thing should be as fast as my 35th (hauls!!) but with that AOD it just feels slow!!!

Fred SC where in MD are u?

FredSC said:
Congratulations on the LenTech. Hope your install goes easy. I've heard you have to drill a hole for the OD lockout somewhere.

what "calibration" did you go with?

I went with the level one since I have a locking convertor. They require a lot of information even if you order a level one they can tweak it a little for you to get a harder shift. My car is not a daily driver so I told them that and didnt mind a slightly harder shift. We'll see. One of my local club members said that the TV cable on my was way to loose. When I get it installed and everything adjusted, I hope to see a dramatic improvement. I am all set up to install the OD delete. It requires a small hole that will be tapped out to 1/8" and a supplied fitting that screws in to the hole to seal it.

Ken,

If your in a crunch for time, you don't have to wire up the OD delete solenoid for the valve body to function. The only time I even use mine is when I'm on the dyno or the track.

Most people doing the wiring for the VB when the transmission is in the car, do not use the Lentech fitting. It's intended to screw into the outside of the case and will be difficult to tap, and install inside the case. Usually the easiest way is to drill the hole (small as possible) and tie a knot in the wire on both sides of the hole/case and seal from the inside with a small dab of RTV.

David

kenewagner said:
I went with the level one since I have a locking convertor. They require a lot of information even if you order a level one they can tweak it a little for you to get a harder shift. My car is not a daily driver so I told them that and didnt mind a slightly harder shift. We'll see. One of my local club members said that the TV cable on my was way to loose. When I get it installed and everything adjusted, I hope to see a dramatic improvement. I am all set up to install the OD delete. It requires a small hole that will be tapped out to 1/8" and a supplied fitting that screws in to the hole to seal it.

Just so you know, if you don't want to tap the hole, you can just drill a hole big enough for the wire to fit through and then add a little silicone and tie a knot in the wire....which is the way you had to do it years ago.

Also, if your TV cable has been loose for some time, you may have prematurely worn out some clutches and the VB could just be a temporary fix.

Good luck with the install.

David Neibert said:
Ken,

If your in a crunch for time, you don't have to wire up the OD delete solenoid for the valve body to function. The only time I even use mine is when I'm on the dyno or the track.

Most people doing the wiring for the VB when the transmission is in the car, do not use the Lentech fitting. It's intended to screw into the outside of the case and will be difficult to tap, and install inside the case. Usually the easiest way is to drill the hole (small as possible) and tie a knot in the wire on both sides of the hole/case and seal from the inside with a small dab of RTV.

David
Doh! I started typing long before you posted, but couldn't finish my reply for about 30 minutes.

What he said.

Thanks for the tips. I will probably go with the small hole and sealer for now. I have thought that maybe the clutches might be slightly toast with the loose setting. If so I will be pulling the tranny for a rebuild. It will be nice to feel some crisp shifts for awhile. I would like to hook up the OD delete even if I have to jury rig it since I want to race it at KCs track this weekend. Just finished building the trailer I will use to haul it down there, just to many project in the works and to little time

I just ordered one coupla weeks ago, so Maybe mine will get here soon:D

I am about to reassemble the tranny, so I'm gonna be drilling a hole for the wiring. Exactly where do you drill? I wanna do it before I throw all those round dealies back in the tranny case:D

Installed the valve body last night. Installation is not real hard but I do have some problems. After installing I found this screen under the car and have no idea where it goes. The manual does not show it in the explode view. There is no mention of it in the Lentech instructions. I will be contacting them this morning. The car does not go into reverse unless you step on the gas a little and the same with first. I installed Randy's chrome pan which is a little deeper and I might just be still a little low on tranny fluid. I wish I had my camera when I installed it so I could post some pictures. I still have Sams valve body to install so I will post picture of where to drill the case at. I did install Lentech fitting since I had Sam helping me. I ran a ignition wire to the Ride control button,(since I dont have the ride control anymore) and ran it to the wire fitting supplied by Lentech. It looks very clean. I have to have it done tonight so I can load it on the trailer tomorrow morning. The worst part is the continous dripping of tranny fluid on you during the installation. My shirt was soaked in it.

Ken

Attachments

• Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Valve body.jpg
    Valve body.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 92
I recognize the shape of that screen, but I can't remember from where. One thing I do when swapping VB's is to measure the amount of fluid I drain from the pan (although if you don't have a drain plug, this is next to impossible).

That rectangular screen looks like it came out of the filter. Don't think you have anything to worry about if you installed a new filter. You did install a new filter right?

If the Trans delays engaging in forward/reverse, you may have an issue with the filter sealing against the VB. You need to make sure the new VB has the cork gasket in place where the filter meets the VB. I would check that before further damage is done.

Bryan

Attachments

• Valve body.jpg
    Valve body.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Just talked to Lentech tech guy. The screen is original equipment and alway drops out when the filter is dropped. They say they never reinstall it and not to worry about it. Would have been nice if it was mentioned in instructions:) As for not going into gear he said it was one of two things. Low fluid or the small square gasket on the filter moved out of position when installing the filter. He said that would cause it to suck air. Hope to iron out the bugs tonight after work

Ken the trans pan came on my first Lentech trans.
It holds more trans fluild than a stock pan.
It uses a truck AOD trans pan gasket. I think?

GOOD LUCK RANDY

Randy N Connie said:
Ken the trans pan came on my first Lentech trans.
It holds more trans fluild than a stock pan.
It uses a truck AOD trans pan gasket. I think?

GOOD LUCK RANDY

It looks good on there Randy, Thanks. Thanks to the plug built in to it I can drain the pan really easy and check the square gasket on the filter tonight, otherwise I could look for a bath in tranny fluid again.

Ken

Randy N Connie said:
I used a LOT of teflon tape on the threads of the trans drain plug.
In case it has any fluild drips.

Randy

Ill do that. No use getting to the track with tranny fluid everwhere. I will try to get a picture of where the drilling of the case is tonight when I check the new filter I installed

Ken

Since you have a deep pan, did you use a different filter? The filters out of mid to late 80's Broncos (I think) have an extension tube as part of the filter so the fluid comes from the bottom of the pan and doesn't possibly suck air if low on fluid.

Kurt K said:
Since you have a deep pan, did you use a different filter? The filters out of mid to late 80's Broncos (I think) have an extension tube as part of the filter so the fluid comes from the bottom of the pan and doesn't possibly suck air if low on fluid.

Didnt know a diffrent filter with an extension was available. I am sure that I have either a low level or the gasket moved when I installed the filter. Lentech recommended adding 1 quart and seeing if the poblem goes away. Do you have any idea about part numbers?

kenewagner said:
Didnt know a diffrent filter with an extension was available. I am sure that I have either a low level or the gasket moved when I installed the filter. Lentech recommended adding 1 quart and seeing if the poblem goes away. Do you have any idea about part numbers?
Sorry, no part numbers. But my local Napa store was able to find it. Not sure if I could count on AZ though :rolleyes: Also, Napa stocks rubber pan gaskets which I prefer over the cork gaskets (which is all that AZ carries).

Back