how would i transport a car for a short distace? such as shipping

operation rob

i live in northeastern CT (stafford) and i am considering buying a car in new haven. what would be the best and easiest way to get it up here without having to drive it?

Driving 67 miles vs. U-Haul trailer

operation rob said:
what would be the best and easiest way to get it up here without having to drive it?
Is there a part of this story that you're not telling us? It's only 67 miles from Stafford to New Haven. 67 miles is to far to drive?

If the car is Non-Op, that's a different story. If it's Non-Op, find a friend with a pickup, buy him a case of beer, borrow a come-along & rent a U-Haul trailer ($60/day). It's an afternoon trip. The U-Haul car trailers that I've used, all have Surge Brakes, so all you have to do is hook up the lights.

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
Is there a part of this story that you're not telling us? It's only 67 miles from Stafford to New Haven. 67 miles is to far to drive?

If the car is Non-Op, that's a different story. If it's Non-Op, find a friend with a pickup, buy him a case of beer, borrow a come-along & rent a U-Haul trailer ($60/day). It's an afternoon trip. The U-Haul car trailers that I've used, all have Surge Brakes, so all you have to do is hook up the lights.

68COUGAR
i dont feel like dealing with the dmv/having it insured for just a day or two. i didnt even think of the uhaul trailer. when i got the sc up in ny, we had to borrow a truck because my dads didnt have the trailer brakes or whatever

68COUGAR said:

68COUGAR
What he said.. I had a transport company make arrangements to pickup and deliver a tbird to town. By the time it made it to my driveway, the front bumper cover had been ripped apart underneath, the frame under the radiator bent up, the connecting bar between the subframe bent up, and the pass side turn signal smashed. :mad: These jerks didn't give a flip about this car.. they just hooked up chains underneath, winched it up on the truck(s) and left.

Whatever you do, be sure to supervise the loading and unloading and GET IT IN WRITING! If the transporter isn't bonded, go elsewhere. Take pictures as well. Don't let any monkey set hands on the car w/o you being present. :mad: Or find someone you trust to do the same. :rolleyes:

& Don't break any laws on the way home!!!

operation rob said:
i dont feel like dealing with the dmv/having it insured for just a day or two.
For 67 miles, I'd throw a legal CAR (not Pickup Truck) license plate on it & Granny drive it home. Have whoever drives you up there, follow you home.

68COUGAR

Riverside Service, Inc.
Coscob, CT
203-618-4442

I have no idea what they would charge you, but they speciallize in moving all types of cars, especially show cars. Got me and the planter home on their flat bed in the middle of the night not too long ago, and for a very realistic price. Very professional. Give 'em a call and see. Maybe it's affordable and worth the cost to just have someone do it for you.

Ira

operation rob said:
my dads truck has the hitch and lights for a trailer, but no brakes. could i use a full car trailer with it?

Yes.

Just take your time and allow extra room for braking and stopping.

eh, when are you looking to do this?

I have a hydraulic open deck dump trailer. I primarily use it to move buildings, but I have moved my trucks and SC around with it before.

If your desperate and aren't looking to do it yesterday, I could give you a hand. If you do have access to a truck, couldn't you possibly use a dolly for 70 bux rental???

Exactly

68COUGAR said:
For 67 miles, I'd throw a legal CAR (not Pickup Truck) license plate on it & Granny drive it home. Have whoever drives you up there, follow you home.

68COUGAR

I second that! Done it before; crap, I can do anything for 67 miles. Just take the back roads, carry your bill of sale, and practice up on your lyin' before you leave, just in case!

Good Luck,

JD

nope, it's all good. i checked out the car, it wouldnt even start, not even after junking it. and then i blew my radiator on the way home.

operation rob said:
nope, it's all good. i checked out the car, it wouldnt even start, not even after junking it. and then i blew my radiator on the way home.

Can't believe you drove your car that far with a blown headgasket.

David

David Neibert said:
Can't believe you drove your car that far with a blown headgasket.

David
errr, i'm pretty sure the head gasket wasnt blown and there were more/different problems with the motor besides that. the motor is blown now anyways.

Found this doing a search for "Uhaul towing" Im not in the same state as my SC currently and am looking at towing it. Will a stock SC fit on a uhaul trailer?

Im having trouble verifying dimensions from any online sources. Is the width over 75" Is the length under 133" considering the nose?

Must have a maximum outside-to-outside tire width of 79.25" Note: outside tire width over 75" must use late-model U-Haul Auto Transport (identifiable by silver galvanized color).
Must have a maximum wheelbase (distance from front axle to rear axle, usually posted on the driver's side door jamb) of 133 inches.

Found this doing a search for "Uhaul towing" Im not in the same state as my SC currently and am looking at towing it. Will a stock SC fit on a uhaul trailer?

Yes, hauled my car to the shootout twice. Once to Muncie, Indiana and once to Xenia, Ohio from Va Beach, Va.

becareful doing it. If that car has a body kit, it will suck since i've done it with an sc and a sport with a body kit. to get it off, pull the e-brake. drive the truck away. worked every time.

These dimensions come from my stock 92 SC.....

Width from side wall to side wall: 71"

Length from center of front wheel to center of back wheel: 113"

Over all length bumper cover to bumper cover: 201"

Hope this helps.....

Im having trouble verifying dimensions from any online sources. Is the width over 75" Is the length under 133" considering the nose?

Must have a maximum outside-to-outside tire width of 79.25" Note: outside tire width over 75" must use late-model U-Haul Auto Transport (identifiable by silver galvanized color).
Must have a maximum wheelbase (distance from front axle to rear axle, usually posted on the driver's side door jamb) of 133 inches.

Holy thread resurrection batman....:eek::eek:

Yes a stock SC will fit on a U HAUL full sized trailer. They tow quite well at that. I would bring some 2X8 boards various lengths with you just in case the car was lowered or is sagging a bit. I used to use them all the time when I had my 95 with 1.5 drop springs and you just have to place a board here or there to raise the back end up to clear the underside. Good luck.

Back