Just got done installing Magnaflow res and Flowmaster res back...!

TheDog

Ok I just had the muffler shop install my toys. The two 2 1/2" in, single 3" out Magnaflow resonator, and I bought the Flowmaster FLO-17100 res back kit. With a few muffler shop tricks it all went in there nicely. Anybody have this combination? I didn't get the flowmaster res cuz Summit said it had a 2" outlet and that's no better than stock.
About the sound. HOLY COW WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! LOUD! What a drone it has. A major drone at about 1200RPM. The sound isn't near as mannerly as it used to be. I don't wanna say it's manly either. Although maybe I'm biased cuz b4 this car I had a 5.0 stang with flows and we all know how beautiful that sounds. Definitely not a 4 banger sound or a V8 sound. (go figure!) It does tame down when you cruise but definitely still there! I don't know if it's the flows making this sound or the magnaflow res.
So did I free up any ponies? How many? The guy wouldn't take my cats out even after pleading. I know my HG is safer now. Worth trying a 5% pully yet?
Any comments?

Do you still have the stock cats in? I have a Magnaflow res and Flowmaster muffs and I think it sounds pretty good, despite the drone. The cats are a big bottle neck in the exhaust because of their design. you might get by with a 5% od pulley, but getting some high flow cats would be best. I have the magnaflow cats on mine.

Can you post a sound clip. There are not many sounds clips out there for us that need exhaust and unless you are in the SC capitol of the world like the center of the US. You really have no ideas what sounds good without trial and error. Everyone knows there doesnt need to be any waste money on the SC.

I know the set up you have and it doesn't sound bad but I do know what you mean about trying to get that V8 stang sound and I think my combo has come really close go look at my post of my video in the non tech section and you'll see what a difference there is between yours and mine. Thing is I had a different flow on there and a magna and every muffler sounds different took 6 different ones to get to where I am now!

The guy at Summit missinformed you because the Flowmaster resonator is 2.1/2" out back. It's 2 x 2" up front to match the stock downpipes, then 2.1/2" for the main center pipe and 2 x 2.1/4" out back for the mufflers. I have that system plus 2.1/4" downpipes with the high flow cats and it sounds pretty much like a V8 hot-rod.

Damon, what did you just say? That was a whole bunch of chinese! Can you interpret?

Joisey, I thought it was kinda fishy about what summit said. However, I thought the stock down pipes from the cats are 1 7/8 instead of the 2" u mention.

Boosted, what setup do you have??

Does anybody think I gained any HP by these mods? Cats next!

Joisey Jim said:
The guy at Summit missinformed you because the Flowmaster resonator is 2.1/2" out back. It's 2 x 2" up front to match the stock downpipes, then 2.1/2" for the main center pipe and 2 x 2.1/4" out back for the mufflers. I have that system plus 2.1/4" downpipes with the high flow cats and it sounds pretty much like a V8 hot-rod.
I also have that same setup except I have no cats on mine. Sounds great.

Yes, they are 1.7/8" on most SC's. The Flowmaster resonator has 2" flaired ends that fit right over those stock downpipes (once you cut the excess off). On my old 5 speed it also has copper outer sleeves over the stock downpipes (heat sheilds maybe?), so the Flowmaster slid right in between the two.

Back