plug gap

chazzwozzle

im in the middle of motor mount replacement. and while im in there im gonna replace plugs and wires. i bought autolite 764 copper plugs and was wandering if i should go with factory gap. or maybe a diferent setting? i was told .045 will work good . any opinions? also what can i buy at the auto parts store to seal the IC tubes and the SC top ? plain ol RTV sealant? or will that cause boost leaks?

chazzwozzle said:
im in the middle of motor mount replacement. and while im in there im gonna replace plugs and wires. i bought autolite 764 copper plugs and was wandering if i should go with factory gap. or maybe a diferent setting? i was told .045 will work good . any opinions? also what can i buy at the auto parts store to seal the IC tubes and the SC top ? plain ol RTV sealant? or will that cause boost leaks?

I need that sealant question answered as well.

chazzwozzle said:

Plain old RTV is fine, but frankly, for a permanant and better solution, spend a couple of bucks and get the set that Wynn from Texas Thunderbird sells. I have never heard anyone complain about them leaking or going bad! Worth every cent of what little he does charge for them.

Also, the recommended gap, of what, about .055 I think it is, is fine for a standard stock engine, but I can't imagine going to .045 would cause a problem. That's what mine are set at, but then again I have a few mods.

There are more knowledgable guys out there then I who can better answer this.

Ira

Last edited:
the stock plug gap is between .052" and .056".i second the call on wynns i/c gaskets,buy a set and never worry again.plus they're reusable,i've had my i/c off many times and i've never had a problem.

Back