Door Jam switch

x182dan

I am having an issue with my door jam switch. The dash says door ajar. No interior lights are on when you are driving but the door ajar light is on and if you turn on your headlights there is a chime. The drivers side auto seat belt works fine but the passenger side doesn't retract and sometimes it will go halfway and come back. I bought a new switch and tried it on the drivers and passenger side but nothing the light stayed on. The switch has 3 prongs on it and the drivers does have 3 prongs but the passenger side only has 2 wires going to it with 2 prongs to connect to. So am I missing a wire on the passenger side or something? There is only one part number for the doors. Any ideas?

Thanks Dan

the door ajar light is tied into the switch that is on the latch assembly inside the door, not the on switch in the door jamb near the hinges.

mlbuxbaum said:
the door ajar light is tied into the switch that is on the latch assembly inside the door, not the on switch in the door jamb near the hinges.

could you get me a picture of what I will need to buy?

Most of the time it just comes un-hooked inside the door near the latch. Take off the door panel and it will be obvious if thats whats wrong.

Try spraying some wd40 in the latch, I've had the same light on a couple of SHO's that I had and when I first got my Tbird. Usually doesn't fix it right away may take a day or so to work it's way into the wiring but should go out. Ford uses a seperate switch for the door adjar light then the interior lights and chime.

shotbirdsc said:
Try spraying some wd40 in the latch, I've had the same light on a couple of SHO's that I had and when I first got my Tbird. Usually doesn't fix it right away may take a day or so to work it's way into the wiring but should go out. Ford uses a seperate switch for the door adjar light then the interior lights and chime.

how come the car chimes when the headlights are on then? Also the drivers side seatbelts retract like normal but the passenger stays put and doesn't move?

With most cars when your door is open and you left your headlights on, it will ding. Same thing, door switch. I would check out both sides. Door panels come off really quick on these things.

mine does the same thing but i know what the problem might be, well i know its the problem with mine, if your door is sagging the its probly your bottom hinge and its not letting it line up correctly but enought to shut and turn the light off

Back