PDA

View Full Version : I autocrossed my SC

SCGuru92
08-05-2002, 08:25 PM
Just thought I'd share this with you guys. I autocrossed my 92 SC last weekend. Mostly VW's, MR2's and that stuff showed up, a few corvettes, and me. A lot of people chuckled when it was my turn, but I surprised a lot of people, including myself. I cant believe a car this big and heavy can handle this well. I turned my KONIs all the way up and boy were they great. I'm definitely going to do this again. I would recommend trying it to anyone looking for some fun. Its a welcome change to racing in a straight line. Who knows, your SC may surprise you?

tbirdsc35th
08-05-2002, 08:40 PM
Autocrossing is a very fun outlet for enjoying the capabilities of a car like a supercoupe. I have autocrossed many a time, mainly when I had my Boss 302, and enjoyed the tracks. It's a safe and inexpensive way to enjoy competitive avenues and you meet a lot of great people. The SC will definitely surprise you in how well it performs under these conditions. You may enjoy this website, AutoX-ing (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teebert/tbert.html). Have fun and be safe.

Deep6
08-06-2002, 08:53 PM
Drag racing breaks drive trains alot.

Auto-xing seems to be where this car can hold it's own. It's got a great suspension on it and I like to see folks exploit it for what it's worth.

However, you had the almighty koni's on your car which can kick some a$$. Wonder what stockers would do or perhaps the Illumina II's.....

XxSlowpokexX
08-06-2002, 09:24 PM
Unfortunately Autocrossing wrecks your tires and brakes,.,.Especially on a heavy car like an SC

Mike8675309
08-06-2002, 11:27 PM
I think the auto shocks would do just fine with the larger anti-roll bars. But with the stock bars, I think it would take the super hard Koni setting to firm things up enough. Autocross courses are SMALL.... I.E. Narrow corridors and tight turns at slow speeds. (below 55mph typically)

It's not so much the weight of the car, as it is the mass. Changing the direction of this much mass takes power, which we have, but also braking and control. Stock brakes won't last long I would suspect. They don't grip the rotor evenly and they don't get rid of heat well. And yes, our car is certainly going to use up tires faster than a smaller car with similarly sized tires. But heck, there has to be a cost to the fun.

Those of you that have Auto-crossed. What type of mods are important?

Brakes?
Anti-Roll Bars?
Shocks?

Looking for ideas.

tbirdsc35th
08-07-2002, 12:02 AM
In the days when I autocrossed (or solo II for some SCCA circles) and did some minor road race track time, the main areas that were important were suspension, brakes, and gearing. I used a 70 Boss 302 for those times and tires were the hardest thing to get right. Every time at the track was different. Good sticky tires were mandatory. Sway bars needed poly bushings and there came a point where you could go too far and the vehicle wasn't comfortable for street use. So you had to pick where you stopped. A good lower center of gravity, usually by lowering the front end, was very helpful. The SC's already out handle that Boss in stock form so no brainer there. As I understand it, the SC's brakes were minimal at best stock so the mods for the rotors and brakes are mandatory. Especially for autocrossing, you can have great power and handling but crappy braking will defeat you every time. Also I know there are many makes of shocks out there but I haven't heard any complaints yet with a good set of Koni's. That's a very light skimming of the basics but if anyone decides to Autocross their SC and you haven't done it before, you are in for a real treat. And I always loved the stares at my 89 SC when I had some fun with it at a parking lot autocross. People just couldn't believe how it would fly.

Good luck to all and be safe.

fast Ed
08-08-2002, 10:05 AM
Auto-Xing an SC would be something done for fun only, I would suspect that it would be tough to be very competitive against the other types of cars you would be classified with. The SCs are great handling cars, but a car that wide with that long a wheelbase will not want to make the rapid transitions neccesary to run quickly on an autocross course. Don't get me wrong, you could have a good time doing this with an SC, but just don't expect to take home a trophy !!

For the guys with Konis who are thinking about trying this, here's a suggestion ... try the front shocks set about 1/2 way hard, and the rears 3/4 or full hard. As long as this doesn't give you a problem with getting the rear tires to hook up under acceleration, running the rear stiffer should help to get the back end of the car coming around, which will cut down on understeer, the bane of your existence in autocrossing :D

BTW I used to do Solo I and Solo II, then some wheel-to-wheel racing a few years ago, mostly with a 5.0L Mustang. And my 95 SC has seen Watkins Glen on Hoosier road-race radials :)

cheers
Ed N.