PDA

View Full Version : i blew my motor, well finished it off

operation rob
06-22-2006, 11:48 PM
i blew the motor yesterday on the highway. my dad said i just finished it off and that there was something up with it, the garage thought that too. i'm kind of torn about what to do with the car. i dont know if i want to do a motor swap, because i dont know how hard it will be, and i dont want to pay the garage to do it. i'm also a little worried about the cost. i'm not sure if i want to be throwing the money into it, but i know if i do it'll last me a long time. i cant decide if i should just sell it or get a new motor for it :confused:

1QuikV6
06-23-2006, 01:38 AM
if its a 94-95 then put a new one in it. Otherwise sell it to someone with an engine. just DONT part it.

operation rob
06-23-2006, 11:44 AM
if its a 94-95 then put a new one in it. Otherwise sell it to someone with an engine. just DONT part it.
thats what i'm thinking. 94s are so rare it's ridiculous, and i figure that if i put an engine in it, and fix it up more, it can last me another 100k miles. do you happen to know how many 94 5 speeds are left?? i know it started with 722, but i've seen so many that have been parted and destroyed because of accidents.

operation rob
06-23-2006, 12:23 PM
i was just searching about ford remanufactured/rebuilt engines, and i see a lot of posts that say they are junk and not worth it, and that they have problems with them a short time after. is there anywhere else i can get a new engine? also, who sells the remanufactured/rebuilt engines? and what is the difference between short and long block?

quick35th
06-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Short blocks- just the block and rotating assembly

Long block- everything that makes a short block but has the heads on it as well.

Try to find someone selling a good used motor on here is you can.

Shane

442guy
06-23-2006, 04:08 PM
I have a ford Reman in my car and it's stout as hell! 93 5 speed

operation rob
06-23-2006, 04:49 PM
I have a ford Reman in my car and it's stout as hell! 93 5 speed
hmmm, it seems to be a mix of good and bad responses about the ford remanned engines. where did you get yours from? SCP?

442guy
06-23-2006, 09:44 PM
The previous owner was a dealership mechanic(got it direct from ford)and put her in before getting a slight tag to the rear end, Reman had 18k on it, car has 88k.

Dahoopd
06-23-2006, 10:04 PM
i blew the motor yesterday on the highway. my dad said i just finished it off and that there was something up with it, the garage thought that too. i'm kind of torn about what to do with the car. i dont know if i want to do a motor swap, because i dont know how hard it will be, and i dont want to pay the garage to do it. i'm also a little worried about the cost. i'm not sure if i want to be throwing the money into it, but i know if i do it'll last me a long time. i cant decide if i should just sell it or get a new motor for it :confused:

GO! Balls OUT! with it. Its no big deal, no matter what you are going to buy. Be it Pinto, Mustang, Goat, Yugo! The need for speed exists. The SC has some grunt, but the weight is the key.

Do what you can and do it right from the go. I am serious, take a few weeks and do a mad search. If you have the patience, you will find the answer. The SC is well worth doing but its difficult to do it right from the jump. Dont look at the members pages, half the crap is hidden from the trained eye.

If you decide after some serious search that giving up is easier. Do it, no hard feelings. Just like a cheap hooker....once your in....your in. No sense in pulling back now.

There is more proof in the pudding than......AR is the key. You can rework an M90 to the 7th gen, taint gonna give ya what an AR can. Damn! I wish I had one.

operation rob
06-23-2006, 10:17 PM
GO! Balls OUT! with it. Its no big deal, no matter what you are going to buy. Be it Pinto, Mustang, Goat, Yugo! The need for speed exists. The SC has some grunt, but the weight is the key.

Do what you can and do it right from the go. I am serious, take a few weeks and do a mad search. If you have the patience, you will find the answer. The SC is well worth doing but its difficult to do it right from the jump. Dont look at the members pages, half the crap is hidden from the trained eye.

If you decide after some serious search that giving up is easier. Do it, no hard feelings. Just like a cheap hooker....once your in....your in. No sense in pulling back now.

There is more proof in the pudding than......AR is the key. You can rework an M90 to the 7th gen, taint gonna give ya what an AR can. Damn! I wish I had one.

hahahahha, what?? maybe i'm missing something, but that didnt make much sense.

Mike8675309
06-23-2006, 10:50 PM
victor at www.spinningwheels-sc.com is supposed to have a good quality long block available.

Bill at www.supercoupeperformance.com has one as well.

On the other side of that, if you can find a shop that can rerbuild your motor, you'll know exactly what you have in store. A straight rebuild will run around a grand. If you need a new crank, those are not too hard to come by.

You could do it cheaper but I'd plan $2k on average for the engine swap as stuff like waterpump, flywheel, clutch, other misc stuff usually gets done at the same time.

operation rob
06-23-2006, 11:34 PM
victor at www.spinningwheels-sc.com is supposed to have a good quality long block available.

Bill at www.supercoupeperformance.com has one as well.

On the other side of that, if you can find a shop that can rerbuild your motor, you'll know exactly what you have in store. A straight rebuild will run around a grand. If you need a new crank, those are not too hard to come by.

You could do it cheaper but I'd plan $2k on average for the engine swap as stuff like waterpump, flywheel, clutch, other misc stuff usually gets done at the same time.
how would i go about finding someone to do a rebuild? and my car has a water pump that is only 1k old, and i planned on getting a new clutch and milling the flywheel.

Mike8675309
06-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Check with local car guys, maybe a local stang club and see who they have used and trust. That's what I did and got hooked up with a great shop. There's got to be some good guys around CT.

I'm assembling my engine myself, but the guys said for $150, they'd do it.

x182dan
06-24-2006, 12:18 AM
hey where in CT are you? I had a guy in Beacon Falls build up my 331 stroker for my bird. Hes the guy everyone trusts around here, once I told him it was for an sc conversion he told me he did a rebuilt on one of those a few months ago. Cool guy if you need to in touch with him let me know

Dahoopd
06-24-2006, 04:33 AM
hahahahha, what?? maybe i'm missing something, but that didnt make much sense.

Sorry, drank too much........

Meant rebuild it, forget selling it, forget the swap.

1QuikV6
06-24-2006, 11:12 AM
If you massively overheated it then you likely cracked or warped the heads, block or both. Better off with another engine as opposed to rebuilding a block thats been subjected to problems

Next time... Dont drive it overheating.....

operation rob
06-24-2006, 12:00 PM
hey where in CT are you? I had a guy in Beacon Falls build up my 331 stroker for my bird. Hes the guy everyone trusts around here, once I told him it was for an sc conversion he told me he did a rebuilt on one of those a few months ago. Cool guy if you need to in touch with him let me know
i'm in stafford, north eastern ct, but i'm more than willing to travel. and could i get his number/email adress or something?

operation rob
06-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Sorry, drank too much........

Meant rebuild it, forget selling it, forget the swap.
haha, i figured. and yeah, getting it rebuilt looks like the best option about now, since i kind of dont want to part with it, and there seems to be so many bad reviews about ford remanufactured engines.

operation rob
06-24-2006, 12:03 PM
If you massively overheated it then you likely cracked or warped the heads, block or both. Better off with another engine as opposed to rebuilding a block thats been subjected to problems

Next time... Dont drive it overheating.....
i'm not sure exactly what happened, the garage is still looking at it. and your user text describes my motor ever since i got the car.

thundrburd
06-24-2006, 12:46 PM
I have a ford reman motor, just put it in about a 2 months ago, and I have not had any problems with it, and I run the ~~~~ out of it already, and it might have 3000 on it, so I dont think that the reman motors are that bad, however, if you could , i would rebuild it and do it right the first time, I am still kicking myself for not doing that, if you buy a reman motor you are looking at spending 2000 just for the motor, so if you get someone to rebuild it, then you could put that much more performance stuff on it for the same price, seeing as how rebuilding it would be cheaper

Tony

operation rob
06-24-2006, 01:20 PM
I have a ford reman motor, just put it in about a 2 months ago, and I have not had any problems with it, and I run the ~~~~ out of it already, and it might have 3000 on it, so I dont think that the reman motors are that bad, however, if you could , i would rebuild it and do it right the first time, I am still kicking myself for not doing that, if you buy a reman motor you are looking at spending 2000 just for the motor, so if you get someone to rebuild it, then you could put that much more performance stuff on it for the same price, seeing as how rebuilding it would be cheaper

Tony
i'm actually thinking about going with these people now... http://www.autoguide.net/apf/ford-car_engines/for_232rlb_3.html 7 year/70,000 mile warranty, i think it's cheaper too. also, they dont use remanufactured parts, just brand new stuff.

thundrburd
06-24-2006, 03:37 PM
that doesnt sound bad, but if I were you , I would call and make sure they use all the same internals like ford, if I recall everything in the ford motor is forged exept the pistons , so I would make sure its the same on there motors that they put all new stuff in, other than that it sounds like a deal

Tony

Mike8675309
06-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Make sure that motor has the forged crank in it and was balanced upon assembly. It needs to have SC rods, and Hyper pistons as well. All unique to the SC.

The picture doesn't show the SC stamps on the heads.

SeanMatteson
06-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Need a motor built for ya? ...Call Dave Dalke. Tell him what you have in mind for the car, and he can spec out and quote on an engine that's built to at least meet and most often exceed your requirements. You're not likely to get him to build you squat in the $1k to $2k range, because he doesn't believe in building you something the same or worse than stock.

...Now, Dave's mad busy right now! ...So don't bother him if you're nothing more than a tire kicker at this point. If you're serious about making the car put a smile on your face, then Dave is the perfect guy to work with. Yes, he's what you might call a 'vendor' in our community. However, I find that what sets Dave apart is that he really loves these cars and the community overall, not the money he can make from their owners. When Dave builds and installs an engine for someone, it's like one of his children is leaving home. He clearly puts a lot of care into every project he's involved in.

In my case, I'm about 500 km's into an engine that Dave built for me. I know it's still way early, but it runs absolutely great, and it's spec'd out to grow with me. I'm hoping to acquire an AR kit this Winter. I'm hoping to get the car dyno'd and run it down the track in the next month. ...I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Sean

operation rob
06-25-2006, 12:19 PM
Need a motor built for ya? ...Call Dave Dalke. Tell him what you have in mind for the car, and he can spec out and quote on an engine that's built to at least meet and most often exceed your requirements. You're not likely to get him to build you squat in the $1k to $2k range, because he doesn't believe in building you something the same or worse than stock.

...Now, Dave's mad busy right now! ...So don't bother him if you're nothing more than a tire kicker at this point. If you're serious about making the car put a smile on your face, then Dave is the perfect guy to work with. Yes, he's what you might call a 'vendor' in our community. However, I find that what sets Dave apart is that he really loves these cars and the community overall, not the money he can make from their owners. When Dave builds and installs an engine for someone, it's like one of his children is leaving home. He clearly puts a lot of care into every project he's involved in.

In my case, I'm about 500 km's into an engine that Dave built for me. I know it's still way early, but it runs absolutely great, and it's spec'd out to grow with me. I'm hoping to acquire an AR kit this Winter. I'm hoping to get the car dyno'd and run it down the track in the next month. ...I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Sean

hmmm does dave have a website or something? right now i'm just kicking tires, but that is right in my price range. thanks.

operation rob
06-28-2006, 12:16 PM
alright guys, i found a bit more about that engine. it does have the SC stamped into the block, and everything is up to OEM spec. i can have them balance the rotating peices during the assembly of the engine for $150. the engine also comes with a Fel-Pro gasket kit with a 1 year, 12k mile warranty on it. except with having them balance it, i need to provide a balancer and flexplate or flywheel. i think i might do this, it seems like a pretty good deal.