PDA

View Full Version : Heater Control Problem

35th-SanDiego
06-23-2006, 01:23 PM
My Heater blows hot constantly regardless of what temp I set control at. It is a 1995 with the knob that turns from hot to cold (not digital control). I have heard it might be the electric flap or whatever down on the heater box.

Does anyone have experience working on this and troubleshooting?

If it's the deal on the heater box does the dash have to come out?

Regards,

Tim:eek:

Still Crusin
06-23-2006, 04:32 PM
:confused: You said it's a 95, but the climate control you mention doesn't sound like a 95. I thought all the 94-95's had the digital climate control system standard, but perhaps that was an option and I forgot.

Otherwise, sure it could be your blend door motor. If you had the digital control head you could use it give you a trouble code. If blend door motor is bad, you will most likely have to pull the dash as it is mounted to interior fire wall between the climate control function knobs and the glove box. Some people may have been able to deal with it with dash in place. If the dash is pulled and you pay a shop, that's going to get expensive, in the neighborhood of $600 or more just on labor for the dash.

I'd recommend taking it to someone that could trouble shoot the climate control system and at least eliminate some other possibilities. It could be an issue with refrigerant level too low. Does your a/c compressor engage when you put control knob over to max cold? If not, then refrigerant too low. If compressor engages but still blows hot air, then I'd look at having a/c system checked for leaks. If your a/c system is still original and car has high mileage, good chance your a/c sys needs some work. I just had to have my whole system overhauled including the climate control head and blend door.

35th-SanDiego
06-23-2006, 04:39 PM
This is actual an N/A cougar 95, hence the lack of digital control. This was discovered this winter independent of the A/C. Even trying to regulate heat, it blows super hot air as if the control was turned all the way over to the highest heat setting. I suppose I should check the potentiometer knob first.

I was curious if anyone has had this thing apart without pulling the dash.

Tim

35th-SanDiego
07-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Umm... wasn't trying to offend with a post about a cougar. i do own a 35th...

It was the blend motor and it's possible to get it out without pulling the dash. It required being something of a contortionist though. I took apart the motor/electronis module and the motor is smoked...
:cool:

Tim

danekejt
01-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Umm... wasn't trying to offend with a post about a cougar. i do own a 35th...

It was the blend motor and it's possible to get it out without pulling the dash. It required being something of a contortionist though. I took apart the motor/electronis module and the motor is smoked...
:cool:

Tim

Hey tim,
I am having sorta the same problem that you had but only it is blowing not not cold. About two weeks ago i was coming up with and e7 and e2 error code on my electronic climate control. So i did the reset. that worked for awhile. Had to do that a few more times. Then i did the reset again and heard the motor doing its thing for adjusting the blend door and then it quit. Now all it does is blow cold so sounds like to me the blend door motor burned up. Was wondering what you did to get yours out without haveing to remove the dash. So far i have been lucky its been a mild winter but i have a feeling my luck will run out in january and febuary.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

John