PDA

View Full Version : About 2 buy a 89 S.C, Help!

waltnono
06-23-2006, 11:34 PM
OK, I found a S.C that is in need of a auto trans. In fact the car doesn't have a trans in right not. I went to go and look at the car today and itís in fair shape for an 89 here in the Midwest. So we started the car up from the solenoid and while I was inside the car I notice that the "firm" light was flashing. I assume this is the light the tells you which setting the electronic ride is set at. My question is was that flashing because the trans was out or is there something wrong with the suspension control. Also did the 89 have an AOD that year? Any input would help.

waltnono
06-23-2006, 11:47 PM
Ok, I did a seach and found some info on the subject but what are some other things that are common problems with these cars?

XR7Kurt
06-24-2006, 12:07 AM
Have you browsed through these?
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=71
They're asked frequently for a reason. A real quick list of common problems I have personally experienced:
motor mounts causing oil filter and/or power steering line problems
stock harmonic balancer failure
my personal favorite is the loose kmember bolts causing a wild goose chase to find what front suspension component is clunking:mad: it is about the easiest fix though
leaking supercharger snout seal and/or sc rattle at idle
throttle valve cable(tvc) on AOD grommet breaking causing a wrong adjustment of the cable causing the trans not to operate correctly and causing damage fairly quickly.
plastic pieces in the power window motor breaking
abs accumulator failure causing brake pedal to get very hard to push with very little results.:eek:
thermostat housing leak
valve cover leak

Well, that should get you started.:D
Kurt

waltnono
06-24-2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks, I didn't think to do a search until after I posted. Some good stuff here.

Shockwave
06-24-2006, 01:42 AM
The flashing is a code. You count the number of flashes and lookup a code list. The code will be a fault, which usually tells you which ARC solenoid is not switching.

Read this thread:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58047&highlight=firm+ride+codes

7birdslater
06-24-2006, 10:15 AM
And PLEASE whatever you do, dont just throw the first AOD you find in there. Make sure you get one built correctly with the "A" Overdrive servo. Plenty of SC specific AOD's to be had on this site. :)

waltnono
06-27-2006, 11:48 PM
Oh, I didn't realize that the S.C had a different AOD. There is a 91 XR-7 that I was going to pull the trans from. Thanks for the heads up.

waltnono
06-27-2006, 11:50 PM
The car is very clean, just has a single rust spot on the rear fender. I will post pics of it once I bring it home Friday.