PDA

View Full Version : pink antifreeze?

x182dan
06-24-2006, 07:21 PM
my new sc has what looks to be pink antifreeze? I thought that was only for GMs? Any ideas should I swap it out for the green stuff or what?

SuperCoupeSC91
06-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Dan, you could of asked me, its orange also, i was told from mustangs unlimited, that aluminum heads should use orange coolant..i think helps premature breakdown in HG, ever since i always use it.. now adays they have coolant that says all makes all models all colors.. and thats what i used anyways..

YT90SC
06-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Pink antifreeeze is a low silicate antifreeze, I think it is actually from Caterpillar? Think 'yoda might use it too. Low silicate antifreeze reduces a diesel's tendency to cavitate the cylinder walls. It is a 'wetter' coolant.

Orange or "dexcool" is the WORST thing you can do to any cooling system. It is acid. It will lead to premature failure. Ask any GM guy with a 3.1, 3.4 or 3.8 and dexcool. LOTs and lots of failures. IT also is ENTIRELY incompatible with any form of green coolant. Google "dexcool" and see for yourself.

x182dan
06-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Pink antifreeeze is a low silicate antifreeze, I think it is actually from Caterpillar? Think 'yoda might use it too. Low silicate antifreeze reduces a diesel's tendency to cavitate the cylinder walls. It is a 'wetter' coolant.

Orange or "dexcool" is the WORST thing you can do to any cooling system. It is acid. It will lead to premature failure. Ask any GM guy with a 3.1, 3.4 or 3.8 and dexcool. LOTs and lots of failures. IT also is ENTIRELY incompatible with any form of green coolant. Google "dexcool" and see for yourself.

i wanna say that there is no green coolant in there just pink or orange

SuperCoupeSC91
06-24-2006, 10:34 PM
http://www.prestone.com/products/antifreezeCoolant.php

the top one was used, read it, all makes all models all colors, can mix...

all of it was drained and its orange, not red.

I always use prestone. even using the same stuff on my bmw e30..

first person i hear say this stuff is bad...i have never herd anything bad on this, and now its a new fomula to mix and work on any car anyways..

ThunderDave
06-24-2006, 10:50 PM
I thought the orange coolant was for 5 year or 150,000 miles or something like that, which wouldn't be good for the head gaskets on our cars because I think it should be changed at least once a year.

I thought there had been some previous threads about the orange coolant and it not being a good idea to run it in our cars.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44173&highlight=orange+coolant

SuperCoupeSC91
06-24-2006, 10:59 PM
i duno, i speak from personal experience myself, i have used it for a while in my blue SC, although i do change the coolant often due to always doing something, but i never had an issues with the brass radiator etc..

7birdslater
06-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Dont forget the Yellow coolant that Ford is using in new Explorers. Our 2004 Explorer 4.0 has this stuff from the factory. Motorcraft gold or something like that. Its supposed to last a long time, just dont go to the parts store looking for some to top it off. They dont have it and spew out the same Dexcool vs green coolant speech. Its neither one... I had to get it from Ford:)

nick62087
06-25-2006, 03:00 AM
My coolant was kinda pink when i used that yellowish prestone, i think its called extened life or soemthing, and "Water wetter"

The water wetter was a dark pink-reddish color, and gave the coolant a pink-ish tint.

-Nick

Spider
06-25-2006, 09:50 AM
mines brown. kinda like a chocolate milk color. with black pieces of something floating at the top. i heard it was good stuff. ;)

ThunderDave
06-25-2006, 10:25 AM
mines brown. kinda like a chocolate milk color. with black pieces of something floating at the top. i heard it was good stuff. ;)

That's Ovaltine's new coolant line, isn't it?:eek: :p :D

garsc
06-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Do you have an automatic car? I hope it's not pink like a strawberry milkshake.If its an auto car check your trans cooler in your radiator ATF + coolant = TROUBLE. Hope thats not it:eek:

birds4us
06-25-2006, 11:49 AM
There are many different colored coolants supplied by several different manufacturers. If you want to be sure what it is change it. Example.....Toyota used red at one time, BMW and Mercedes used blue, Mercedes .....yellow almost clear, Land Rover,yellow, Ford, green, orange, yellow, so it could be just about anything. I strongly suggest not using Dexcool. Just my $.02.

x182dan
06-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Do you have an automatic car? I hope it's not pink like a strawberry milkshake.If its an auto car check your trans cooler in your radiator ATF + coolant = TROUBLE. Hope thats not it:eek:

no its not a tranny cooler issue, this was SuperCoupeSC91's SC and he said he put preston in it