pink antifreeze?

x182dan

my new sc has what looks to be pink antifreeze? I thought that was only for GMs? Any ideas should I swap it out for the green stuff or what?

Dan, you could of asked me, its orange also, i was told from mustangs unlimited, that aluminum heads should use orange coolant..i think helps premature breakdown in HG, ever since i always use it.. now adays they have coolant that says all makes all models all colors.. and thats what i used anyways..

Last edited:
low silicate

Pink antifreeeze is a low silicate antifreeze, I think it is actually from Caterpillar? Think 'yoda might use it too. Low silicate antifreeze reduces a diesel's tendency to cavitate the cylinder walls. It is a 'wetter' coolant.

Orange or "dexcool" is the WORST thing you can do to any cooling system. It is acid. It will lead to premature failure. Ask any GM guy with a 3.1, 3.4 or 3.8 and dexcool. LOTs and lots of failures. IT also is ENTIRELY incompatible with any form of green coolant. Google "dexcool" and see for yourself.

YT90SC said:
Pink antifreeeze is a low silicate antifreeze, I think it is actually from Caterpillar? Think 'yoda might use it too. Low silicate antifreeze reduces a diesel's tendency to cavitate the cylinder walls. It is a 'wetter' coolant.

Orange or "dexcool" is the WORST thing you can do to any cooling system. It is acid. It will lead to premature failure. Ask any GM guy with a 3.1, 3.4 or 3.8 and dexcool. LOTs and lots of failures. IT also is ENTIRELY incompatible with any form of green coolant. Google "dexcool" and see for yourself.

i wanna say that there is no green coolant in there just pink or orange

i duno, i speak from personal experience myself, i have used it for a while in my blue SC, although i do change the coolant often due to always doing something, but i never had an issues with the brass radiator etc..

Dont forget the Yellow coolant that Ford is using in new Explorers. Our 2004 Explorer 4.0 has this stuff from the factory. Motorcraft gold or something like that. Its supposed to last a long time, just dont go to the parts store looking for some to top it off. They dont have it and spew out the same Dexcool vs green coolant speech. Its neither one... I had to get it from Ford:)

My coolant was kinda pink when i used that yellowish prestone, i think its called extened life or soemthing, and "Water wetter"

The water wetter was a dark pink-reddish color, and gave the coolant a pink-ish tint.

-Nick

mines brown. kinda like a chocolate milk color. with black pieces of something floating at the top. i heard it was good stuff. ;)

Spider said:
mines brown. kinda like a chocolate milk color. with black pieces of something floating at the top. i heard it was good stuff. ;)

That's Ovaltine's new coolant line, isn't it?:eek: :p :D

Do you have an automatic car? I hope it's not pink like a strawberry milkshake.If its an auto car check your trans cooler in your radiator ATF + coolant = TROUBLE. Hope thats not it:eek:

There are many different colored coolants supplied by several different manufacturers. If you want to be sure what it is change it. Example.....Toyota used red at one time, BMW and Mercedes used blue, Mercedes .....yellow almost clear, Land Rover,yellow, Ford, green, orange, yellow, so it could be just about anything. I strongly suggest not using Dexcool. Just my $.02.

garsc said:
Do you have an automatic car? I hope it's not pink like a strawberry milkshake.If its an auto car check your trans cooler in your radiator ATF + coolant = TROUBLE. Hope thats not it:eek:

no its not a tranny cooler issue, this was SuperCoupeSC91's SC and he said he put preston in it

Back