MAF mounting question.

SC Spyder

Please confirm my assumption.

Please see the thumbnail below. You will notice that the MAF is very close to the inner fender well and as a result, the connecter will not fit. Am I correct in assuming that I could rotate the MAF so the connector is straight up (for example) and it would not effect the operation?

Also, it looks like I could just add a 12inch (or so) extension and a Cone filter to the intake to get hte intake out in clean cool air. Does anyone forsee that creating a problem with the calibration or performance?

As always, all input and suggestions are appreciated.

Doug

Attachments

• Dsc00065 sm.jpg
    Dsc00065 sm.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 121
As for the MAF it should not matter what position it is in, as long as the inlet side remains the inlet side. Be careful not to let the wires rub on the hood, or anywhere else.

MAF help

Thank you. It didn't seem like it would be effected, but sometimes, ya just never know.

Doug

The only time it would matter if the MAF was rotated is if there is a bend in the intake tube in front of the MAF. As air comes around the curve, it flows faster at the apex (outside) of the curve. Therefore, if the MAF sensor is located all the way out, it will read more air, if all the way in, less air. Sometimes you have to play with it alittle to get the result you want (the sensor- get your mind out of the gutter LOL).

The position of the MAF does matter. Its been proven among us Mustang tuners that rotating the MAF meter can have a measurable effect on your A/F ratio. It was proven that the horsepower gains seen from using aftermarket cold air intake was due in part to the fact that the MAF meter was rotated from the stock 10 o'clock to the 12 o'clock position. This rotation caused a slight leaning of the rather rich factory A/F ratio, which resulted in a gain in HP. During this testing the MAF was tried in other positions which resulted in various richer and leaner condtions. Although in your case rotating the MAF to the straight up (12 o'clock) position shouldnt be a problem if your engine is stock and untuned it would have an effect on someone with a dyno tuned combination. In other words, if you rotate the MAF on a tuned engine its best to check the A/F ratio afterward and have adjustments made as needed.

Regards
Doc

Last edited by a moderator:
Inside vs. Outside of curve

acb92sc said:
As air comes around the curve, it flows faster at the apex (outside) of the curve.
Check your Geometry!!! The Apex of a curve is the inside (short side) of a curve.

When driving & you "Apex a Curve", you hit the INSIDE of the curve, not hang on the outside of the curve.

68COUGAR

Back