How much heat sink compound to use on the DIS base?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Going to install another DIS module on my SC. Do I apply the heat sink to the AC bracket base (I have an 89) or to the metal base of the DIS module? How much...a thin or thick coat to the entire base or do I just apply it to a few points (like the corners)? Any help is appreciated

lightly coat the bottom of the module and let a small amount squeeze out then wipe away the excess when you bolt it down.

Jeff

Use a thin coat. The compound is just there to fill in any imperfections in the surface so you have 100% no air gap. In electronics and on CPU heatsinks people seem to think more is good, but they are wrong. The compound isn't as good as metal in drawing away heat. The ideal scenario would be a perfect metal to metal contact, but that is n't possible so the compound is used. Don't kill a new DIS by globbing on a huge thick amount.

Jerry

I used the 'heat sink compound' from Radio Shack - it was only a couple of bucks.
In the Ford manual it recommends forming a grid of small dots across the whole mounting plate (on top of the compressor), about 1/8 - 1/4" apart. That worked well for me and, there was little or no excess when I placed the DIS. I think that is a very good way to get an even coating.

About the thickness of a match cover. No more or you risk having poor heat transfer.

It's been suggested even that you do some fine buffing on both the DIS contact surface and the mount surface. The smoother the surfaces, the more metal to metal contact that will occur.

Back