Having serious overheating problems too!

SuperDad

I live in the desert (Palm Springs, Ca), where the summer temps go above 110 degrees on a regular basis. I've been searching through a lot of threads, and have gotten thoroughly confused. My 95 SC (stock) runs on or right of the M (NORM) most of the time, either idle, street, or hwy. The coolant boils after about 15 minutes of running time. I flushed the radiator (even though the color was a perfect green, looked like it had just been changed). Put about a 30% coolant / 70% H20 mix, with a bottle of water wetter. The main fan turns on OK (probably around 210-220 from what I've read). My pusher fan fuse, keeps blowing, maybe from the extreme heat? I don't know if the pusher fan does that much anyway, from what I've read. I have had the car about 3 months, (originally a Michigan car) & I think I will have to make some major & expensive changes to make the car run cooler, where I live!
Any thoughts or comment will be appreciated.
Jim :confused:

Install a 180 deg thermostat,install a ic fan and get a tuner or chip and get the fan turned on at 180 deg. You can get a tune thru Dave at Supercoupes Unlimited.;)

Since it's blowing the fuse on a regular basis I would replace the fan motor with a new one not a rebuilt. PEP Boys has an external adjustable fan controller for $30. It connects to the battery and is spliced into the brown and orange fan motor wire. It has a bracket that let's you mount it right there by the radiator and air filter box. You can set it to come on where you want it to. The fan running on it's high speed is the key to bringing the temp down. I have one on both of mine and just installed one on a friends and the temps run on the N all the time, now.

If you want it to run cool, do the stuff with the t-stat and fans that have already been suggested and install an oversized aluminum radiator, like the Griffin or the one that Mike38 used to make.

David

Also make sure the air deflector that is under the front bumper is in tact. At highway speeds it deflects air up into the front of the radiator which is necassary to keep the car from overheating. Also you can add a quart of a "water wetter".

Mike

On the 94/95 if you are blowing the additional pusher fan fuse then I'd guess that the low speed on the regular puller fan is not working. The pusher is only supposed to come on above 228 deg., if the high speed can't cope. And if you are normally showing around "M" on your temperature gauge (I know they are nor precise) then that would also indicate the higher fan speed temperatures. Does your fan activate when the AC is on (below like 40mph). If it doesn't then your low speed winding is bad.

Back