darn, got a fix it ticket for no front plates??/

Merlon

ive had this car for 6 months, and the previous owner 10 years, no plates, or holes to mount... ~~~, damn it. now i have to get a set, and put them on the front of my sc, hells no. and apparently the led lights in my turn signal, dont work well enough so fix it ticket.

anyone have this problem? this is a weak way to start off the week.:mad:

? i dont want anything on the bumper

really. its most likely becasue this year i put a chrome SC on the front bumper...and tinted the brakelights. but it doesnt make a difference for light transparency.

i really dont want to drill holes, what if i tell them and show them all the other bird owners dont have them. will i be giving 6-7 other people i know tickets?

It's a law in your state and they don't care you can get cited time and time again until you comply.

My friend has a Spyker C8 spyder that they had imported from Holland. It has a plate on the dash up near the windshield. He was stopped by the police for improper display of license plate. He said go ahead and write the ticket, it will be paid first thing tomorrow before you even get to work. The reason... he isn't willing to drill holes in a $400,000 car and he told the cop that. Still got the ticket, went and paid it the next morning. Like he cares, he has a $35,000 watch.... tickets to him are an annoyance.

I wouldn't want to drill up my car either, but if I had to do it I'd get a factory plate mount kit rather than a universal. There are 4 holes in the SC bumper that pop out to mount this holder. Two up near the SC on the bumper and two under the lip of the bumper. Just suck it up and put a plate on their unless you like getting stopped and ticketed all the time.

And if you bring up your friends with you, they'll probably all get license plate tickets too and not be happy w/ you.

It's like my window tint here, I know its illegal but I refuse to remove it, every once in a while I get a ticket. I just consider it a tax for having a nice looking car. I usually have them rolled down during the day when I'm in the city. Unless its raining, and then if they cop wants to stand outside my car and get wet, more power to him.

Last edited:
I live in CT and this is what I was told by a cop. I asked him if I needed a plate for my car he said if your car didn't come with a license plate holder from the factory then you don't need a front plate. I then told him its for a tbird he said ohh you don't need one. He knew that because he had a 40th anny tbird. Atleast that is how it is in CT

Here is what you do:
Mount your front plate off to the side or something, as long as it is on the front bumper and is not damaging your paint. hell, zip tie it to something.
Take it to your local CHP office/Police Station and get it inspected and the ticket signed.
Mail it to the court, end of problem. No cost, either. Just a little time.
Remove front plate and set on dash, and be done with it, repeat as necessary.

sweet

The_Ghost said:
Here is what you do:
Mount your front plate off to the side or something, as long as it is on the front bumper and is not damaging your paint. hell, zip tie it to something.
Take it to your local CHP office/Police Station and get it inspected and the ticket signed.
Mail it to the court, end of problem. No cost, either. Just a little time.
Remove front plate and set on dash, and be done with it, repeat as necessary.
what about the brakes?
I used a few coats of nightshades, nothing spectacular.y dark, and i used leds, couldnt make out the leds in day so he also wrote me up for that. were can i buy really bright 3157 bulbs for the brake light housing, or tail lights, whatever they are called, turn signals?

Yeah my brother told me to zip tie it, and get that signed off on. so, i guess today new plates, new stickers, new mounting plate-special order probably.

im not taking the nightshades off, so i need brighter bulbs. would 3457 work out to be brighter?

I cant tell you how many times Ive been pulled over and given a fix it ticket for no front plates. That was never the reason they pulled me over, but I ended up getting the ticket for that instead.

It was probably your tail lights that made the cop pull you over in the first place. I would try the regular lightbulbs and see if they are brighter, if not you may need to remove the nightshades .. you dont want to end up having to buy a whole new set of tail lights or something to fix the problem.

Im not sure if the Zip ties will work either, the plate needs to be mounted securely .. its up to the officer who will sign off your ticket. I had to screw mine into the bumper, but I already had holes so I didnt care. I dont have front plates on any of my vehicles. Arguing with the cops wont work either .. they dont care, besides, its the end of the month and they need to fill their quotas.

The ticket will still end up costing you about $12 ( If it is a fix it ticket ) and your time, they usually only sign off tickets between 12 and 1 on wednesdays, here in Campbell at least, not sure about other police stations. They used to have fix it tickets for tinted windows also - now they just give you a ticket for about $77.

- Dan

yeah

he said he pulled me over because of the no plates, but wrote me up fo rthe night shades:D

i spoke with another cop, he said that the ticket was written wrong, eh, unlawful lights, like i have ambulance lights...the guy said to change em out for the day and i probably wont get hit for it unless im doing some speeding, or i look like a kid who needs to be pulled over.:p

yeah new plates for the day, and corner lights, then back to old me. i think it was the chromed SC that caught his attention, becasue they never did anything before, i have had the same sherrifs behin me and not care, they pull a u turn, but see i have plates and let it go, but no not today. hells no im not drilling holes, double sides tape or something with faux screws.

look at the small difference of my fieros lights, and my lights. the the one most right is no light, the third from the left is brakes. i can see them, now. after installing 3457 bulbs 10 minutes later.

Attachments

• blackouts001.jpg
    blackouts001.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 71
  • blackouts002.jpg
    blackouts002.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 60
  • blackouts004.jpg
    blackouts004.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 58
  • blackouts003.jpg
    blackouts003.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
its not even ricer black outs

smoked is a better way to put it, and hes like, i cant see the lights in the panels, im like...there arent any on the 90 sc.

i also said my car came like this, so i dont get a stern talking to for breaking the law.:rolleyes:

here are some pics now of what it would look like it i were to brake. and if im cruising. the reflectors are still visable through the smoke, and i made sure of that.

Attachments

• boombalatties005.jpg
    boombalatties005.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 148
  • boombalatties006.jpg
    boombalatties006.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I cant take a picture now but I made some brackets and hung my front plate on my 95 LX UNDER teh bumper using the factory holes which you have...Doesnt look half bad either..Give that a try

Those are not very bright lights. Last thing you want is to be rear ended by someone and have them figure out your brake lights were modified. That could tie you up in liability battles forever. You could just make your third brake light work and maybe nobody would care. :)
As for the plate, just drill the holes, use the correct plate holder and it will look just fine. SC's are great cars, but nobody is paying a premium for one without plate holes.... They are also very easy to fill as I did it once when I transfered from Illinois plates to Arkansas where there is no front plate.

maybe, but they were never bright

and the third brake light isnt on because i am using the emergency lights, so i can take the pic, here are more now, brighter no?

how bout the cogars, if i did that with my lights? but inverted it? like darker reflectors to lighter, maybe 2 coats taillights

Attachments

• ubba002.jpg
    ubba002.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 10lrg.jpg
    10lrg.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
today i found out the nightshades might not be so illegal

maybe im reading this wrong, if so tell me but i found this disproving the ticket

25950vc:

(c) All lamps and reflectors visible from the front, sides, or rear of a vehicle, except headlamps, may have any unlighted color, provided the emitted light from all lamps or reflected light from all reflectors complies with the required color. Except for backup lamps, the entire effective projected luminous area of lamps visible from the rear or mounted on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall be covered by an inner lens of the required color when the unlighted color differs from the required emitted light color. Taillamps, stoplamps, and turn signal lamps that are visible to the rear may be white when unlighted on vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1974.

so since they are transparent black and the black is unlighted but when illuminated they are red and in the sun or with light directed towrds them they shine red with the reflector i should be able to get off on the ticket. without the front plates.:D

if i show up talking mainley about the lights, and how i have no red lights pointed forward like stated on the ticket(in so many words the vehicle code given was wrong) i could get the ticket thrown out, and not pay anything.:cool:

Maybe the officer thought the reflectors are supposed to light up, which they don't and would make them hard to see. Even on the 94/95, they are just tail lights, not brake lights. I would take the info you have and see if you can get it dismissed about the lights. As for the tags, try what Damon suggested.

he wrote me a ticket for

but 25950 states i can paint them any unlighted color, provided the emitted light from all lamps or reflected light from all reflectors complies with the required color. they have to be red, you can se the red through the paint, when illuminated they are red. so i might be able to take pictures and go to court and get the whole thing thrown out.

im still so confused:confused:

It's a moot arguement, you broke the law. Try and fight it if you want, or just take the hit and pay the fine

I have my taillights tinted as well, I know it's illegal but I did it for the looks and just pay the fines as I get them. If you don't want to pay again, just get rid of the tinting. Regardless of what you think, it does affect the light output and the reflectability

i didnt get a fine, it was a fix it ticket

and its not moot, its the law.

Under 25950 i can paint um any color unilluminated, as long as they loight up red. i dont want to change em so ill use that. the ticket used24003 a very broad law mostly for rrice burners having leds and neons, not for nightshades

What is the required light output for your rear lights? How bright do they have to be? Sounds subjective and up to the cop to determine if he thinks your lights are bright enough to ensure the safety of the public. fight it if you want, but bottom line is you modified your tail lights and the cop doesnt think they have the correct safe light output. Not much to argue there.

7birdslater said:
What is the required light output for your rear lights? How bright do they have to be? Sounds subjective and up to the cop to determine if he thinks your lights are bright enough to ensure the safety of the public. fight it if you want, but bottom line is you modified your tail lights and the cop doesnt think they have the correct safe light output. Not much to argue there.

A few years ago when we had our Windstar, we got a recall from Ford on the daytime driving lights. Seems the Windstars sold in Canada had them and the US models didn't. The recall stated that the daytime driving lights were too bright for US standards and we'd need to take it in to get them disabled. :confused:

Too bright for daytime use. :confused: I had seen vehicles with brighter daytime running lights than the Windstar had. How do they determine is something is too bright for daytime use? They were not as bright as the low beams. What if everyone were to ride around during the day with their headlights on, would they be ticketed for having lights on that are too bright for daytime use?

Back