What are the MAIN differences between 89 and 92 SC's?

HK416SC

Jsut wondering if you guys know the main differences between the two, ie reliabilty and maintenance issues. Were there interior changes at all?

I know that there are spec sheets up, but the specs won't show me the problems. :) Ie, brake accumalator stuff and other little stuff like that. Were the 92's updated at all?

thanks, ronnie

You lost the SC on the front bumper cover and got the revised gas tank and exhaust routing. Probably got the plastic radiator tanks as well!

The 92 have very few changes from the 89. The 93 got the new ABS and new front spindles that make brake upgrades possible.

The 92 has the same DIS as the 89, same blower. TB is a little bigger, but overall the engine is about the same as an 89.

Yes, the 92 got the plastic tank radiator. The '92 also lost the sliding compartment above the glove box. Also, my '92 doesn't have EGR, which is probably the biggest asset (header installation is much easier).

Hey, that sliding glovebox is the interior change! LOL

They were minor, if any. I think the silver heater buttons and faceplate went to black. Some of the trim around the AC vents might also be a little different.

My radiator has brass tanks not plastic. My SC was manufactured in July 1992! Just food for thought, not all have plastic tanks!!!

Cheers,
Calvin

hmmm, my '92 was manufactured in November of 91 and it had the plastic tanks. I guess that might have been the cross-over year.

Calvin, have you owned your 92 since it was new? The brass rads are a drop in for your car.

No, George.....I'm not the original owner. I have pulled my radiator to have it rodded and flushed by a local radiator shop last summer.

They said I had brass tanks and not plastic!

Cheers,
Calvin

Back