Name this symptom

T-bird Tim

OK I have a new one. I need to see if anyone else has had this happen or knows what it means. Whenever I run the car hard, the dipstick gets shot up about two inches out of the tube and oil gets everywhere. Only happens when I get on it hard. Any ideas? My friend is having the same issue with his SC.

headgasket or bad rings, maybe a bad pcv valve, but i doubt it. Is it consumeing any oil? Blowing any smoke..... yet?

Last edited:
Somewhere Your Crankcase Ventilation System Is Pluged (usually Pcv, But Ive Never Personally Seen This Drastic). Its Not Letting The Pressure Out From Under Your Rotating Assembly, Therefore Pushing Out The Oil Tube.

It is using oil fairly rapidly. No smoke out of the exhaust. Runs fine, no overheating. I hope it is the pcv valve and not the rings. Any way to test the rings without tearing into the motor? It's not running hot at all so I doubt it's the head gaskets. Any help greatly appreciated.

Tim,

I've seen this happen on a couple of other SCs. It's caused by excessive crank case pressure. In your case it sounds like blowby at the cylinders/rings.

I noticed in another post you mentioned installing a Stegimeier blower. I mention that because if during that install you somehow got the PVC valve hose swiched around with the big vacuum hose on the back of the ruturn plenum, it would do just what your describing.

So, I would check to make sure the PCV valve is hooked up to the inlet plenum and that the PCV valve is functional.

David

T-bird Tim said:
Any way to test the rings without tearing into the motor? .

Compression test. If the pressure is low it won't mean it's exclusively the rings, but it'll give you a place to start.

Your Vacumn Gauge Sure Tell You

GET VACUMN TEST READING AND IT WILL SHOW YOU IF THESE ARE YOUR PROBLEM TRY SEARCH SITE OR NET FOR READOUTS :confused: SHOWS BAD TIMING, :eek: RNT VALVES,:mad: BROCKEN VALVE SPRINGS OR WEAK ONES, :( BAD RINGS, :eek: BLOWN HEAD GASKETS ALL THAT HOTRODDERS USED IN THE 50,S:D

I concur with dave. Make sure you have a dealership PCV too. The generic ones are said to be unreliable.

Blown HG's?????

Tickler said:
headgasket or bad rings,
Can you explain how a blown HG would pressurize the crankcase?

I vote for the crap rings that Ford put in SC's. Total Seal rings are the best to replace them with.

68COUGAR

Though very unlikely, the headgasket could have broke no where near a water passage, causeing the symptoms he's describeing. what ever it is, the headgasket will have to be replaced anyways.

I checked all of the vacume lines, they are all hooked up right. No water in the oil. It's going in the shop for a rebuild on Monday. General concesus is the rings are shot. I'm going to rebuild it now before it gets any more damaged. I guess it's not all bad, gives me an excuse to put in my new injectors and torque converter. Might even do the front mount while the engine is out.

Back