CEL because of overheating

kwikcoupe

well i found out today my gauge is off a little bit. It was mid 90's which is pretty warm so i had the a/c on high and the car was going great. I tried to pass a slower car at WOT and everytime id hit the full gas mark it would hesitiate. No to good for passing in on camming traffic huh.

Anyway the car gives a slight smell of burning coolant so i turned off the a/c and a few seconds later the CEL light comes on. I pull over and the hose going from the radiator to the oerflow tank of off at the radiator and blowing like old faithful. A little bit o water and a very uncomfortable car ride with heat blasting on high just in case later.

Im wondering, at what temp does the CEL actually come on?
The car acts normal. oil looks good, lots of power so i think it did any damage. Im going to swap out the 180 t-stat for a 195 stocker and add some water wetter and a new radiator cap.

You got lucky-same symptoms for me on the '89 I just bought and I am now in the midst of HG's. On a side note, is it possible to get to the outside head bolts with the exhaust manifolds still attached to the head pipes?

Nick

NickM said:
You got lucky-same symptoms for me on the '89 I just bought and I am now in the midst of HG's. On a side note, is it possible to get to the outside head bolts with the exhaust manifolds still attached to the head pipes?

Nick

Just take those off. We took the 2 bolts out of the bottom of the manifolds, then unbolted them from the heads.......Besides, if you have the means you can port em while you are at it....

paul

Back