PDA

View Full Version : What's it worth, general OPINIONS/input wanted!

mikeceli
06-27-2006, 03:04 AM
Hi folks! I am a long term motorhead, new to SC's! I am considering a Tbird, for my 18 YO daughter's 1st car. I like the style, lots of metal, ABS, RWD, daul airbags(parent stuff) and American made!

I located the following: 94 SC AT excellant paint/interior, rust free ca. car, senior FEMALE adult owned. 321,000 highway miles! Owner bought new, has big stack of since day one service records. Including, rebuilt engine and auto trans @200,000 miles.

Shop she used tells me she spared NO expence servicing/repairing the car. Says "she likes to drive fast and always wanted the car" "RIGHT".

Supercharger has noisey bearing(s).

I do my own work and figure I'd ship the s/charger out for rebuild(321,000miles).

Seller asking $1500.

What you guys think?! Worth taking on the old gal? (the car, not the seller)!

God Bless America!

Tony8470
06-27-2006, 03:29 AM
I think we have a new record holder. I remember someone posting not too long ago they had about the same milage. Well off the rebuild you are looking at 121,000 miles, still high miles for any car. That car is far overpriced for the milage. I'm surprised she is even asking for money. Bushings all over the car are probably rotted out. This would cause premature wear on the suspension parts. SC's are NOT good daily drivers, you would be better off getting a v8 thunderbird. Don't get the v6, they are prone to head gasket failure.

Among the frequent and costly problems these cars have are, head gaskets and ABS. I already dealt with the headgaskets, mostly as a precaution. Theres a new post about someone having their gaskets fail after being replaced 20,000 miles ago. These cars are flat out high maintenace.

Shockwave
06-27-2006, 05:18 AM
$1500 and the car runs?

BUY IT

68COUGAR
06-27-2006, 05:54 AM
That's a lot of miles, but if it's been maintained like you say, I'd probably go for it. I wish my parents had bought me a car like an SC for my 1st. car!!! Although the '68 Torino GT that I bought & pd. for in '73 was pretty cool, it didn't have the power of the SC. You wanna adopt a 50 yr old kid?

68COUGAR

mikeceli
06-27-2006, 09:22 AM
I'm 51, sorry! No body ever bought me a car eighter. I worked during highschool and bought a 1970 Mustang Mach1, in 1972. 351C 4V, AT,AC Dark Ivy Green metalic w/ parchment interior. I STILL miss it.

Daughter would rather have a Mustang/Camaro/Firebird. Mom and I are not comfortable W/ that size, for the kids.

Is a 94 SC too fast, for a teen? I did,nt drive it much.

CMac89
06-27-2006, 09:30 AM
94 SC isn't too fast for a teen. With traction they usually run anywhere from 15.20's-15.60's depending on the condition of the vehicle.

You can get them to 13's pretty easily as it just takes money.

That is alot of miles. Try to get the price as low as you can. I would buy it.

XxSlowpokexX
06-27-2006, 09:32 AM
The SC is actually a pretty safe well handeling car with some speed. I think its great for a first car.

If the car has been properly maintained all along the miles should be relative to what has been repaired.

If you are handy the blower rebuild is relatively easy

1,500 isnt a bad price at all

XR7 Dave
06-27-2006, 09:51 AM
For a young driver, keep some very good quality all season tires on the car and don't let them wear out. SC's are dangerous with slippery tires and many many many people have wiped them out due to losing the back end on slippery roads.

Other than that I think it's a good car for a teen at least if they are responsible. :)

mikeceli
06-27-2006, 02:21 PM
THANK YOU all for the input and ideas, so far. I will keep yous posted. Anyone else?

I am going to share your input W/ the seller and try to get a deal!:)

7birdslater
06-27-2006, 05:21 PM
With those miles you really want to look over the front suspension for bushing wear, bearing wear, and ball joints being loose or boots broken. With regular maint any car can go a long way, but I sadly have to agree that the SC is not a dependable daily driver. I tried to daily drive a 93 and luckily bought a warranty with it. allmost 10 thousand dollars in warranty work later I traded it in on a truck as the warranty was going out. I now have one as a toy and love it that way.

Tickler
06-27-2006, 05:27 PM
I second Dave's tire statement, A little late for me though.:eek:

x182dan
06-27-2006, 05:55 PM
I wouldn't pay over $700 for it. Really who would buy that car? Not many people with that mileage so she will have a hard time selling it so $700 is a fair price

XR7Kurt
06-27-2006, 07:49 PM
$1500 not bad for a rust free car, but I'd offer $900 or $1,000. If the supercharger is real noisy and obviously has a problem I think that is going to be a major issue for most buyers. Anyone who is not looking for an SC probably won't know anything about a supercharger and won't want to mess with it.
I'm about 50/50 on whether it's too fast for a teen. It's basically as fast as a Mustang or Camaro. The SC might have trouble of the line but if she nails it from 40mph she's gonna be at 100 in no time.
It will be fine as a daily driver since she has you around for when it breaks. I have put many, many miles on mine when it was my only transportation. I used to drive mine from FL to SC and back every week for 6 months straight. Never let me down and I only got two tickets.

Kurt

The_Ghost
06-27-2006, 08:16 PM
My 90' SC with 187k is also for sale since I can't get it to pass smog and need to get the funding back. It runs and drives great, but has really high NOX emissions. I'm told a set of cats and a new intake arm will relieve the problem.
At worst, O2 sensors (39.99ea from bosch at AZ) an egr valve (59.99 at AZ) along with the cats and a little bit of new vacuum tubing.

$1550, comes with TWO COMPLETE SETS of good tires/wheels, SC wheels are in great shape with good tires, comes with a set of painted gunmetal 5-splitspoke 18's with Z rated tires, which are currently on the car. The ABS system works great. Straight body, white car.
Unfortunately I've been told these cars are difficult to maintain and thus I am kind of afraid of keeping it, and to even get it to pass smog I'll be in another like $300.00, which I don't have. :(
Car is in Los Alamitos, CA at the 605/405 interchange.

Oh, and it's also a 5-speed. Fantastic car for someone who doesn't have to pass smog (NV residents?)

Sorry for the threadjack, so back ontopic:

the automatic SC you are looking at has more miles than mine, and they are asking more than I paid for mine before I put the wheels on it and the supercharger doesn't make any noise. I bought mine because it looked like a good reliable car but I'm personally quite scared of attempting to fix it, should it need fixing, and need to get it off my hands again.
Don't buy an SC.
That's about it, and if anyone is interested in my SC, pm me.
Thanks,
Ghost
(Nick)

thirdbird
06-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Is a 94 SC too fast, for a teen? I did,nt drive it much.

WAY too fast IMHO.
If its a girl, you might be ok, but if she's got a Boyfriend, he's certain to experiment with it.

Tony8470
06-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Too fast? I dunno, but the massive torque paired with wet surfaces makes for a slippery ride.

thundrburd
06-29-2006, 12:41 AM
for a girl, I dont think it would be to fast, but like previously stated, if she has a boyfriend, I'm sure he will want to get on it alot, and again, with a slippery road, they are really not a good car, and I dont know where you live but I wouldnt want to drive mine anytime in winter with snow, I'm sure that would be very bad, as long as yoiu trust her to be careful with it, I would say go for it, as far as price, I dont know that is all that bad of a price, although I would try to get it down some due to miles

68COUGAR
06-29-2006, 04:56 AM
If I had a Daugher (which I don't), and she wanted an SC as a first car, I would have to say, NO!!!

I grew up with REAL Muscle Cars, & the SC out-performs MOST 60's & 70's Muscle Cars!!!!

I "may" trust your daughter, BUT.....................I don't Trust her "Go-Fast-Wannnabe-BF"

However, the SC/LX (mn12) will work Better through the corners, than ANY comparable Bow-Tie-Car.

If it was MY daughter, I'd buy the SC for MYSELF, & buy the inexperienced daughter, a LOW Performace 3.8 Cougar!!!!!

68COUGAR

xThunderbirdSCx
06-29-2006, 09:57 AM
For a young driver, keep some very good quality all season tires on the car and don't let them wear out. SC's are dangerous with slippery tires and many many many people have wiped them out due to losing the back end on slippery roads.

Other than that I think it's a good car for a teen at least if they are responsible. :)

::writes "Be more responsible" on things to do list:: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) :p

Just watch out for any blue stingray corvettes drivin around. Those things are jerks.

Jacob_Royer
06-29-2006, 01:51 PM
I would certainly not get one of my kids an sc for there first car... way to fast... not a good car in the rain for an inexperianced driver.. I second the person that recomended a v8 bird they are alot slower and alot more reliable in the long run.. mileage about the same... If it was me id get her a early/mid 90's accord with a 5 speed.. They run for ever.. there safe...they get around in the snow...they get good mileage...Cheap to maintain... cheap to buy.. I have almost 300k on mine drive it 100 miles a day and beat the snot out of it and never have to anything but breaks,tires and oil changes.. Its quick enough but not dangerously quick (like the s/c can be)... just my .02

PS: An s/c is alot cheaper to insure than a camaro or firebird but NOT as cheap to insure as an accord.... Costs me $20 a month MORE for my s/c to have same coverage as my accord does..

bigg_boyys_SC
06-29-2006, 06:35 PM
An SC for a child?......NO!!!! Even if it is a girl, this is too much torque for a teen. I would never let any of my daughters loose in my car. Even if she wouldn't cut loose with it, she may let a friend drive it. There are too many kids doing the street racing thing(thanks to movies like The Fast and The Furious) and they die. They kill each other and they kill others. Get her some thing heavy and slow to protect her if you must get her this car, at least take her out in it to and open, large parking lot and scare the crap out of her in it. Then go to www.ogrish.com and show her some of the pics of car crashes at high speed(warning, very very very graphic!!!). They are safe cars, but they are also quick and expensive. Most auto parts store only have about 18% of our parts avalible. I plan on getting my girls something that is small, low, ugly and pink. That way there isn't any room for you know..., they can't go in the woods for you know..., and no little boy with any sense of trying to be the "man" would get caught dead in some thing pink and ugly.

7birdslater
06-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Thats funny and reminds me of the pepto bismol colored V6 firebird that a high school girl drives in a town just north of here. Its hideous and fits your description above.

thirdbird
06-29-2006, 08:15 PM
I had a 79 Lincoln that was in near pristine shape....I think If I could find one that was a little beat but ran, I'd get that for my son. Talk about EASY TO WORK ON. He wouldnt be able to afford to drive it and his friends on any 'long trips to go drinking', or win any races with anything else. I dont care about the roominess, if he got stuck at least he'd be comfortable..
And if some little dweeb in a ricer blows a light because he didnt like how bad I just whooped him and t-bones the lincoln my boy is driving, the small scratch hell get will buff right out!:D :D :D
Big=Heavy=Safe, so go ahead and raise those gas prices, they won't make me or my pre 18 year old son drive in a death trap!

paul

Feld
06-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Alright, time to play Devil's advocate..

First off, I am an 18 year old male, and the SC is my second car..

Maybe I am just lucky but she has been pretty reliable so far, I just do the regular maintenance stuff (which is a ~~~~ most of the time), and even with light mods she runs pretty well.

My SC is a daily driver, and has seen me through Nebraskan rain, sleet, ice, snow, heat, cold, and a tornado or two (none of which are exactly small) just fine. As long as she is a decent driver and has a good pair of all-seaons your daughter should be OK through the cold months.

I also trust the SC to keep me safe if a deer or Civic tries to hit me, that is if I can't get around them first.. She should be fine with the power as long as she is responsable and dosnt do anything TOO stupid, if she has a boyfriend make sure he isn't an idiot driver; and if he is scare him enough to drive safe anywhere NEAR that car.

Gary Bitzer
06-29-2006, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't pay over $700 for it. Really who would buy that car? Not many people with that mileage so she will have a hard time selling it so $700 is a fair price
no offense but i think you are full of ~~~~, if a vehicle is maintained with that many highway miles, and is from california, and is female driven, its most definatley worth the asking price. a super coupe is an excellent vehicle, if it is meticulously maintained, and obviously since its still around it must have been......i say go for it. and not only that the engine and trans were rebuilt at 200k, hello, anyone home, i see no problems here!!! plus you can have the "highest mileage sc" on sccoa, haha. mines way behind ya with 33k.
as for buying an sc for a teenager, absolutely not!!!, these are one of the easiest cars to lose control of good tires or not, good driver or not, they will get you when you least expect it....dont look at the HP and 1/4 mile times, look at the torque, add that to RWD+ teenage driver= disaster, my first car was a 5.0 thunderbird and trust me, that was plenty enough, im very lucky to still have it and my life, kids will do dumb things, keep them safely behind the wheel of a honda or something of the same class.

Cat Girl
06-29-2006, 11:38 PM
WAY too fast IMHO.
If its a girl, you might be ok, but if she's got a Boyfriend, he's certain to experiment with it so your saying it is not ok for a girl to "experiment" with it? ;)

Too fast? I dunno, but the massive torque paired with wet surfaces makes for a slippery rideany car on a slippery road can be hazardous

An SC for a child?......NO!!!! Even if it is a girl, this is too much torque for a teen.don't let her hear you say that...LOL

You guys crack me up!! Since I don't think anyone know the daughter personally, how do you know how she drives? I would like to think she would be smart enough to not let other people drive her car, but if she does and heaven forbid they end up in a wreck, they would be better off in that big heavy monster then in a little Honda.

To the dad... If you are worried about her driving, take her the drag strip, let her road race, go to driving school etc..if she wants to drive fast, find a safe outlet for her to do so.
i think she would be just fine:)

~c

XxSlowpokexX
06-30-2006, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by x182dan

Dan has a strange idea of a cars worth and speed....Believe me.... hehe

thirdbird
06-30-2006, 01:24 AM
so your saying it is not ok for a girl to "experiment" with it? ;) any car on a slippery road can be hazardous
don't let her hear you say that...LOL

You guys crack me up!! Since I don't think anyone know the daughter personally, how do you know how she drives? I would like to think she would be smart enough to not let other people drive her car, but if she does and heaven forbid they end up in a wreck, they would be better off in that big heavy monster then in a little Honda.
~c

Hey!
Statistics don't lie...
Besides, Thunderbirds are for boys......Hondas and Toyotas are for girls:D ;) :p

mikeceli
06-30-2006, 01:54 AM
Wow! This is getting interesting. I appriciate all input and you folks taking the time to write.

Originally I planed on a V6/V8 94-97 Thunderbird, for my daughter.

1 Because it's got a lot of metal, for safety. And must have ABS/daul airbags.

2 I think it's almost as sporty as a Mustang/Camaro/Firebird (which she likes but DAD feels does NOT have enough metal.

3 I find Fords to be reliable.

4 I don't want any more FWD cars.

5 I only buy cars made in the USA, by American owned companies. (those who disagree, you earned your money, spend it how you wish).

This SC came along, I think i can get it CHEAP and it has a rebuilt engine/trans (100,000 ago!) and excellent "fix it, service it, do whatever it needs" work order history.

AND, I confess, DAD wan't to play with it!

BUT the last thing I need is ANOTHER car, I cannot let my daughter drive. I won't let her drive my 2001 Corvette(too fast, too $$$), my 1979 "Bandit" Trans Am (too classic, few safety features), my 89 Camaro RS V6(slow enough, but too small, no air bags, no ABS) or our 2000 Ford Excursion Diesel (it's the MAIN family vehicle)

Could I UNDERDRIVE the supercharger? Slow it down a little?

Whats better :I see lot's of $2500.00 94-96 3.8/4.6 Tbirds, with 90,000-150,000 miles, with original drivetrain's and typically no service history. Or $700-94 SC 321,000 miles 100,000 on engine/trans and full service?

Thanks again! Mike C.

XxSlowpokexX
06-30-2006, 05:50 AM
5 I only buy cars made in the USA, by American owned companies. (those who disagree, you earned your money, spend it how you wish).

BRAVO!!!!!!..94 SC for $700 behind door #2

Cat Girl
06-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Hey!
Statistics don't lie...
Besides, Thunderbirds are for boys......Hondas and Toyotas are for girls:D ;) :p

I beg to differ.....LOL
This doesn't look like a Honda to me.... ;)

mkeethler
06-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Ok, my turn. I agree with alot of what's been said. Unfortunately these cars seem to sell for a lot less than I think they should be worth. The last time I drove something that felt like an SC, it had Jaguar written on it. They are an awesome car. But NOT a good daily driver. They require an owner who is constantly watching/listening to what's going on. And, (again my opinion) they are way, way too much car for a teenager. They suck your right foot in. And the way they are geared, you are hitting 100 before you know it. For an experienced driver, they handle pretty well. You can put it wherever you want it. But they will get sideways in a heartbeat. I bought a nice used four cylinder Honda Accord for my daughter, and have never regretted it both from a safety standpoint, and reliability.(over 200,000 miles so far) Just my opinion.

ufdb
06-30-2006, 04:21 PM

I wish more people felt that way!

As for the car, one of my SC's was bought off a dad who was going to give it to his daughter. Then he drove it for a week and decided it was too fast.

I dont think I agree though. Most wrecks are not caused by someone going fast. Left turns through traffic, running stop lights, not paying attention, and DUI are the main worries.
In truth, if driven right having a fast car can help avoid potential accidents because you can get out the way quicker when someone makes a mistake. Add to that the weight of the car and that it handles very well, I think it makes a good 1st car.

xThunderbirdSCx
06-30-2006, 04:27 PM
An SC for a child?......NO!!!! Even if it is a girl, this is too much torque for a teen.

I take offense to that! :mad:

xThunderbirdSCx
06-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Wow! This is getting interesting. I appriciate all input and you folks taking the time to write.

Originally I planed on a V6/V8 94-97 Thunderbird, for my daughter.

1 Because it's got a lot of metal, for safety. And must have ABS/daul airbags.

2 I think it's almost as sporty as a Mustang/Camaro/Firebird (which she likes but DAD feels does NOT have enough metal.

3 I find Fords to be reliable.

4 I don't want any more FWD cars.

This SC came along, I think i can get it CHEAP and it has a rebuilt engine/trans (100,000 ago!) and excellent "fix it, service it, do whatever it needs" work order history.

AND, I confess, DAD wan't to play with it!

BUT the last thing I need is ANOTHER car, I cannot let my daughter drive. I won't let her drive my 2001 Corvette(too fast, too $$$), my 1979 "Bandit" Trans Am (too classic, few safety features), my 89 Camaro RS V6(slow enough, but too small, no air bags, no ABS) or our 2000 Ford Excursion Diesel (it's the MAIN family vehicle)

Could I UNDERDRIVE the supercharger? Slow it down a little?

Whats better :I see lot's of $2500.00 94-96 3.8/4.6 Tbirds, with 90,000-150,000 miles, with original drivetrain's and typically no service history. Or $700-94 SC 321,000 miles 100,000 on engine/trans and full service?

Thanks again! Mike C.

FOr shizzle son. Just take off the SC belt and run it N/A. Then its just a dog slow 3.8. THen when you want some fun, spend 2 mins bolting the SC belt back up and let err rip!

x182dan
07-01-2006, 11:37 PM
I bought my sc when I was 17 and I honestly believe that it is in no way to fast for a teen. Its all about how your kid is if he does everything fast and is always high strung then he/she will probably drive fast and wreck eventually. I spent a solid year driving that thing and not beating on it. Now my 94sc didn't have a posi rear like most of your guys sc's so I think that probably helped me a lot. If I spun the tires the car wouldn't get sides and would just go straight, so that helped a lot as a teen unexperienced drive. Now I feel like I know the car as well as the back of my hand and I can drive it like I should

x182dan
07-01-2006, 11:39 PM
no offense but i think you are full of ~~~~, if a vehicle is maintained with that many highway miles, and is from california, and is female driven, its most definatley worth the asking price. a super coupe is an excellent vehicle, if it is meticulously maintained, and obviously since its still around it must have been......i say go for it. and not only that the engine and trans were rebuilt at 200k, hello, anyone home, i see no problems here!!! plus you can have the "highest mileage sc" on sccoa, haha. mines way behind ya with 33k.
as for buying an sc for a teenager, absolutely not!!!, these are one of the easiest cars to lose control of good tires or not, good driver or not, they will get you when you least expect it....dont look at the HP and 1/4 mile times, look at the torque, add that to RWD+ teenage driver= disaster, my first car was a 5.0 thunderbird and trust me, that was plenty enough, im very lucky to still have it and my life, kids will do dumb things, keep them safely behind the wheel of a honda or something of the same class.

try to sell a car with that many miles and see how long it takes for the car to sell thats all I'm saying. Probably one of the only ways to sell a car like that is to a guy that collects them

x182dan
07-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Dan has a strange idea of a cars worth and speed....Believe me.... hehe

yes mustangs are the slowest cars in the world and every 10+ year old car is worth crap to me:)

Parker Dean
07-01-2006, 11:52 PM
I think we have a new record holder.

Naw, it's got a ways to go yet.

ufdb
07-01-2006, 11:58 PM
439,000 miles.....impressive...

XR7Kurt
07-02-2006, 01:19 AM
439,000 miles.....impressive...
Well, that's obviously a factory freak....look at the mileage he get's, 560 miles and it's at about 3/4 of a tank.:p

So is this the record holder?

Kurt

midgetchaser
07-02-2006, 10:07 PM
wow that is impressive im only at 171,000. the sc is my second car and only car. i bought mine from some kid in indiana that didnt take care of it at all everythings broken literaly everything. my car is not reliable at all but thats becasue of the condition its in. i think it could be relaible as long as i keep up the maintence so if the car is in good condition id buy it. no way is the car too fast for a your daughter unless she is a horrible driver. this is what u do on a rainy day take her to a empty parking lot and tell her to c what happens when u hit the gas hard and turn at the same time then she might be a little more careful.

shadow357x2
07-02-2006, 11:31 PM

Dave as a mother, I was hoping someone would put that in there about the tires. Personally I would not buy a Supercoupe for my teen.
The first Supercoupe that we had Shadow had bought it for me in 1993, our teen age son @ that time, was caught raw hiding my car and was not allowed to drive it. I love speed just as much as the next person and the teens love it too..

Also, someone made a statement about the head gaskets on supercoupe,MY opnion is that the cats get stopped up and the back pressure causes the head gaskets to blow, been there done that.
Ya'll don't rag Shadow too much when he get back in town about me posting.:rolleyes:

mikeceli
07-03-2006, 10:37 PM
UPDATE (sorta)

The seller told me she would be out of town, till July 5th. I will contact her on the 5th and take a second look/drive. I am thinking about all the good points you folks have generously provided.

Happy Fourth! God Bless America!

operation rob
07-04-2006, 02:09 AM
i'm a 16 year old guy, the SC was my 2nd car. first was a 1993 thunderbird LX. i think the SCs are a bit too fast/easy to lose control in for a teenager/inexperienced driver, and i know from first hand experience. RWD can be a bitch in the rain when you start going sideways, countersteer, and end up in a fishtail. but i agree with what you're saying about big cars. i wont drive saturns because i know people who have died because they were in a saturn, they got hit and the car shattered.

also, dont quite think you know how your daughter drives. my sister is calm, typical girl, and she speeds like no other. she actually drives faster than me (well on the highway and because i know i'll catch hell if i get a ticket) at times. girls are just like guys, if they know it's fast, they're going to want to see exactly how fast it is.

Mike8675309
07-04-2006, 11:24 AM
I won't let my youngest son drive the SC as he's only been driving a few months. My oldest son has driven it as a daily driver for a few months. I'm sure he's spun the tires, done a burn out, gone WOT a bunch of times and all. I know this because that's what I would've done. But I also know he's got car driving under his belt so that'll limit his stupidity more than the youngest son.

If your kid is a car nut, or you're a car nut, then an SC version of the MN12 chassis is a good option. Decent fuel economy, decent power, but when you gotta fix something, they are a tad pricy, and really pricy if you can't do the work yourself.

With a 1994, one of the most significant maintenance costs, the Mark II abs is gone. The Mark IV system is still complex, but it's failures are far and few between. At that miles, the pistons and rings are probably just fine, as the stock pistons really last. But those main and rod bearings are almost certainly on their way out. I'd start budgeting for a new short block or a rebuild of that motor as a bearing could go at any time.

I love the idea of buying a used car originally owned by a woman that had a Dad watching over her. Those cars tend to have every regular maintenance item well take care of, and when parts needed replacing they get replaced. No Dad wants to think of their daughter stranded driving between her home and school. That usually means good records, and a used car that is very up to speed on it's maintenance and maybe just needs brakes, or tires, or some mid-expensive thing that triggered the idea of selling it.

mikeceli
07-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Well. I bought the aforementioned 1994 SC, 322,000 miles, engine/trans rebuilt 100,000 ago. Paid $400.00 !!

I will post photos, if I can figure that out.

The supercharger seems to have a slight bearing growl, from the snout. Not like a bad water pump or alternator, that you can hear with the hood closed. It is similer to the sound of a serpentine belt idler'tensioner pully( which tend to sound bad, even when new). If I wasen't told the sc was failing, I wouldn't have known and I was in autorepair for 23 years.

What do you folks think I should do about the supercharger. I want to fix it right.

The check engine light comes on, while driving. My old OTC scanner wont read this car. What is a good OBD I / OBD II scanner? (I've got the test light cheapie, but don't want to trust it).

THANKS for your past and future input!

mikeceli
07-18-2006, 03:46 PM
I uploaded and it replied I exceded something,forum limit? It shows 2 attachments, it the thread title? What gives?

mikeceli
07-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Anybody? Photos?

thirdbird
07-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Anybody? Photos?
I think you have to be a member....$15
then you can attach photos to your posts.....
Read FAQ. It'll clarify things for ya!
In fact, I think I will read them rihgt now:o :o :o

paul

Kevin Varnes
07-18-2006, 07:25 PM
You can rebuild the snout or there are people around this site that can perform that task for you for not a lot of money. I personally don't use any scanner to read codes I just jump the self test input wire with the pinout on the EEC TEST block. I believe it is the top right port (if you look at it with the row with less pinouts on the top). Then hop in and turn the key to "ON" and the check engine light will blink the codes at you. It takes a little bit of practice to read the blinks, but after you get the hang of it it's pretty easy. You can search around here or elsewhere on the internet for EEC-IV codes and their meanings.

No help on the pictures but it sounds like a great deal!