PDA

View Full Version : CHEAP brake upgrade tech info!!!

Mercury267
06-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Everyone may already know this, but I'm throwing it out anyway...

'93-96 Mark VIII LSC (perhaps all MarkVIII) cars have a bit of a larger front brake rotor.

If you get a set of Mark VIII front spindles, LSC replacement front rotors and 99+ mustang GT calipers and pads you will have a nice little front disk brake upgrade on you Thunderbird... at least 94+ thunderbirds.

The dual piston on the slightly larger disk is pretty cool, and you will feel a difference no doubt! Add a high quality pad and stainless brake lines and the outcome is even better!

I doubt once done, the "need" for a cobra upgrade would remain high on the list, and you would have only spent a fraction of the cost.

I do think you should get a front alignment though, once you've placed those new parts.

~Mercy

gldiii
06-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Always good info on brakes.

More is also listed in our FAQ:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17830

Joisey Jim
06-27-2006, 12:57 PM
The Mark 8 and 1996/7 Sport T/bird option have those 11.57" rotors; but I don't think the PBR calipers off the Mustang will clear them. I did the Mark 8 upgrade on my '93 and you have to use the Mark 8 calipers & brackets as well (see my old "how to article" at the end of the Publications tab). On my
'94 however, I did the PBR Mustang upgrade using the stock 10.86" rotors and, I think the braking is much better than the Mark 8. Plus a lot less warping due to the twin piston & larger pad size.

darkstar_one
06-27-2006, 01:49 PM
you cant beat a cobra upgrade! stops in an instant. i'd rather spend the extra money on the cobra setup :D oh wait, i did!

fast Ed
06-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Mercy, have you tried to bolt that combo together?

As mentioned, the 99 - 04 Mustang GT and V6 calipers and brackets are made to go with 10.9" rotors. So once they are bolted to the spindles, they won't be positioned properly to clear the Mark VIII 11.6" rotors.

In the SCCoA members only Brake forum, I had started a thread about using the calipers and brackets from the 13" Cobra brakes, and redrilling the brackets to reposition everything to go with 11.6" rotors. Turns out that lots of SHO owners have already been doing that. There was also a thread on TCCoA about the same thing a few months ago.

cheers
Ed N.

Mike8675309
06-27-2006, 08:19 PM
The main issue with the cobra swap is fitting the stock wheels. If you go 13" on the rotor, you won't get the stock wheels back on.