Head Gasket Question

CougarXR/7

Has anyone ever tired using head studs rather then bolts to avoid a blown gasket?

Is there a best choice for a replacement gasket set?

Everyone have a great 4th of July and to my fellow Veterans.....THANKS!

ARP head studs are pretty much ALWAYS suggested/reccomended around here when doing head gaskets. You can use the ones for the Chevy 2.8 V-6 or there is a set specifically for our engines. I believe the Chevy 2.8 set is less expensive though.

As for best choice for gaskets... well it all depends on what you are planning for the motor. Just replacing gaskets on a mostly stock engine.... Fel-Pro composites seem to be a good choice. If you are upping the power and NEED the better gaskets you can go with the MLS (multi layer steel) gaskets, but they require that the head and block be machined SUPER smooth... like glass.

I am sure others will chime in here as well. You can also try the search function. I am willing to bet you will find plenty of reading on the subjects of head gaskets and head studs to keep you busy for a while.

There are no ARP bolts available for our application. Studs provide greater clamping force for a given torque due to the ability to eliminate any twisting of the bolt as it is turned into the block. The force is more evenly applied to the head really helping the clamping.

Head gaskets.. go with stock replacements from felpro if you're not planning on uping boost or racing. If you want to bump up power considerably, consider getting the block decked, head decked, get them nice and smooth and then go with the MLS Permatorque gaskets.

Back