few issues

justin case

alright so my girlfriend bought a 35th two weeks ago and i knew it had some problems but it was 1500 and i figured it wasnt anything big well i have a few questions

the car runs rough and occasionally will die when sitting at idle i was thinking of checking the IAC, the o/d doesnt work we were cruising at about 50 and i had her move the shifter from drive to o/d and nothing, the car also will buck and jerk when going about 40-50 intermittently i was going to look at the TPS for that.theres a few other minor problems but not anything huge the temp guage doesnt work and apparently the speedo and tach go out every once and again, anything you guys could contribute would be awesome the biggest things im worried about now is how its idles rough and dies and how it bucks and jerks i just want it to have a little reliability,thanks

Doug

I'm not an authority on troubleshooting, or anything else for that matter, but when my IAC valve was bad my idle was just real high. You may have several problems so the experts around here will tell you to start with the basics and go from there. For the trans start with checking the fluid level. Checking for vacuum leaks and making sure all the plugs and wires are in good working condition is a place to start for the engine roughness. My first XR7 would stumble anytime it went into boost and it turned out that one of the plug wires wasn't on.
You want to have the temp. gauge working.

Kurt

ill check those things when she gets over here i figure for the time being if she needs a temp guage i can install my aftermarket one out of my car and put it in there, my brothers 4.6 would stumble and almost die when its iac was bad (which was pretty much my basis for thinking that its the iac) im just more concerned with the car killing itself i dont think its the wires because any other time than idle/low rpm's the car drives fine (aside from the jerking).Also in my driveability class my teacher said that 90% of surging and idle problems were a/f related but i dont have a fuel pressure/volume tester at my house to check if it isnt getting enough fuel. i was also thinking maybe the fuel filter is clogged and theres enough pressure in higher rpm's to keep it running but at idle there isnt enough flow, haha i just keep comming up with a bunch of theories, but thanks kurt

Back