help!!! check engine light and no brakes

tondog

i was just on my way home from work and pulled up at a stop sign and every thing was ok. i moved foward a little to make sure no cars were coming and tried to stop(going about 5 mph) and the brake pedal would hardly budge (compared to power braking) the car will stop but you have to push really hard on the pedal and it stops slow. no long after my check engine light came on and i could hear a terrible screeching noise from around the area of the inlet plenum and s/c outlet. i guess its a long shot but does anyone know what this could possibly be? any suggestions greatly appreciated. if i cant figure it out im gonna have to take it to Ford.

ABS pump?

sounds like the ABS pump or some thing causing it to do that. Happened to me once and turned out being a dirty connector on the abs computer under the back dash. After I changed the hole pump, master, and accumalater assembly.

Sounds like if your brakes are very very hard then the ABS pump relay is bad, just a suggestion. I would replace the brown ABS relay on the pass. side firewall. You can get the ABS relay from NAPA for around 22USD.

Cheers,
Calvin

You sure it was check engine and not ABS and Brake lights?

Hard pedal means no pressure in the hydraulic system for the brakes. Either the pump isn't getting power to pump, or it doesn't see a signal that it needs to pump, or it pumps fine but there is no fluid to pump.

Check the fluid level, replace the relay, and give it a shot.

Still no joy? Repost the question with a revised list of descriptive issues.

Good luck.

well, i guess i got really, really, really lucky!!!! woke up this morning, poped the hood, and started her up, and since i actually had some light this time i could see that the vacuum assist line had just poped off. the part it connects to is attached to the fire wall and i guess when i got on it the engine torqued and pulled the hose off (it was a little on the short side). anyway, thanks for all the input guys!

Back