PDA

View Full Version : pinging under boost

chazzwozzle
06-28-2006, 03:45 AM
i just installed new plugs and wires. i used autolite 764 coppers gapped at
.050. well i have a slight yet noticable spark knock that i hear only under boost. by the way i have a 180 tstat and the temp barely reaches the "N" on the gauge.i am gonna try and run some motorcraft carbon cleaner through a vacuum line and also replace my fuel filter which may be partially clogged causing a lean condition under boost. so basically i still have the same slight knock after installing new plugs and wires. is there something else that can cause this annoying problem?

twoblownfords
06-28-2006, 08:04 AM
If your car has a pulley on it you should probably get it tuned. Get a good fuel pump and good gas in the car and get a custom chip. I know my car would ping even after i tuned it in the dry winter air in the ne pa so i lowered the timing to about 16deg its fine now and the car feels better.

pablon2
06-28-2006, 08:13 AM
......so basically i still have the same slight knock after installing new plugs and wires.

What grade (R/M) gas have you been using all this time?

chazzwozzle
06-28-2006, 09:46 AM
car is stock excepct for a k&n filtr. i only use 91 octane, which is the highest available octane in my area

pablon2
06-28-2006, 10:02 AM
car is stock excepct for a k&n filtr. i only use 91 octane, which is the highest available octane in my area

Being that the knock occurred before and after the plug/wire swap I'm thinking it is your gas. This is one constant in your situation. My .02.

chazzwozzle
06-28-2006, 11:42 PM
well i just installed a new napa gold fuel filter and test drove it. pinging still there, barely. i then prceeded to pull the octane plug and drove it again. pinging is now completely gone. exactly how much power am i loosing by cutting the timing 4 degrees? i can still effortlessly spin the wheels, so theres still plenty of torque available. next thing im gonna do is run that can of motorcraft "decarb" fluid and see if that helps. anyone else have some tips and or advice? thnx in advance.oh yeah i forgot to mention when the engine was cold, there was no pinging,and thats with the octane plug installed. only when the engine is at operating temp can i hear the pinging.

thirdbird
06-29-2006, 12:07 AM
Being that the knock occurred before and after the plug/wire swap I'm thinking it is your gas. This is one constant in your situation. My .02.
Injector[s] clogged?

pablon2
06-29-2006, 08:02 AM
oh yeah i forgot to mention when the engine was cold, there was no pinging,and thats with the octane plug installed. only when the engine is at operating temp can i hear the pinging.

It's your gas. When the block is cold it doesn't contribute to predetonation as much, but once it gets hot it can be a Chinese new year in there with crap gas. I suggest driving the car to a place that has 92-94 octane gas and make sure you have <1/4 tank when you get there. Fill it up and then drive it. This will rule out other things if the pinging ceases.

Merlon
06-29-2006, 11:56 AM
91 is the topps in octane. you can find race fuel, which might help, instead of octane booster.

2 gallons mixed with 91 should hekp a bunch. i have to stay out of boost when warm 1/3 it will start to detonate so i just drive normally

Tickler
06-29-2006, 06:03 PM
Cleaned your maf lately? Could be almost anything really, but it couldint hurt to check your fuel pressure regulator, pcv valve, and for any vacuum leaks. When was the last time you unplugged your battery and did the relearn procedure?

jsue1961
07-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Cleaned your maf lately? Could be almost anything really, but it couldint hurt to check your fuel pressure regulator, pcv valve, and for any vacuum leaks. When was the last time you unplugged your battery and did the relearn procedure?
Clean your MAF Sensor. I had the pinging under load and when I took the sensor out and saw there was a build up of black gunk on the sensor. Got some CRC MAF Cleaner and some QTips and got it out. Car ran so much better.

John

chazzwozzle
07-04-2006, 02:12 AM
well that can of the motorcraft carbon cleaner did the trick. i must have had alot of carbon built up on the pistons. from now on im only using chevron with techron :D

Gary Bitzer
07-04-2006, 09:26 PM
run a bottle of lucas injector cleaner in it, seemed to work well on my truck when i had this problem. now i use it about once every 2 months.