Catalytic Converters

markhaz

What do you all think about which converter I should buy for my T-bird (Stage II)? I am finally getting my car back on the road. To do that I need to pass emissions (NOX). I am looking at replacing the cats with one of these Magnaflows:
MPE-91006 (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MPE-91006&N=0&autoview=sku)
or
MPE-94106 (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MPE-94106&N=0&autoview=sku)

They are the same size, the only difference is the 91006 is for 4500 GVW and the 94106 is for 6000 GVW. I am leaning towards the one for ~4000 lbs, but I called magnaflow and they say they both flow the same, and that the catalytic coating is different for the 6000 lbs one to reduce emissions further (geared towards trucks). I want to make sure I pass emissions, so if they both flow the same I would like to choose the one that does the best job of reducing NOX. Could it be that they are made for different exhaust temps?

I called Magnaflow again and they told me to use the 94000 series, even though it is for a 6000 lb vehicle. I guess it is better suited to supercharged applications.

check ebay, i got a sick deal on some nice highflow cats and they are not big, i think it was 50$ shipped.. they had no brand name, but there quality and def high flow, i bought 2 for my bmw, and mufflers, my car is to deep and loud now :( i'm going to have to put resonators or dual inlet/outlet resonator on it probably.

I will look into them. Any idea if they are 2 stage / 3 stage, or pellet or honeycomb? I definately don't want pellet, and would prefer 3 stage. After further discussion with Magnaflow I was told to get the 94106's for higher output engines (ie supercharged). The heigher series numbers mean they are meant for higher displacement engines (not just trucks).

Thanks for that ebay thread - I'm going to check those out for my XR-7. Sorry for the hijack...

Last edited:
markhaz said:
I will look into them. Any idea if they are 2 stage / 3 stage, or pellet or honeycomb? I definately don't want pellet, and would prefer 3 stage. After further discussion with Magnaflow I was told to get the 94106's for higher output engines (ie supercharged). The heigher series numbers mean they are meant for higher displacement engines (not just trucks).
According to the link/auction they are honeycomb.

txsc said:
Thanks for that ebay thread - I'm going to check those out for my XR-7. Sorry for the hijack...

Let me know which ones you want, I can get them cheaper and all you have to do is stop by the shop on Pat Booker.:D I get them from 25 to 50 bucks depending on inlet/outlet size.

Stephen

Back