Rear Spring Air Bags....

tbirdsc357

Might give these a shot tonight.

I know a few have these installed in your cars, any tips/tricks to installing these?

Does the springs have to be removed or can I just stuff them in there?

Where/how did you run the air feed lines?

Also, how much air are you guys running?

Thanks.

Steve

Steve,
I run bags @ 19-21 lbs on the rear of my '93. I'm also running Eibach Pro 1.5" kit on all corners. The bags give me up to about 2" of height adjustment from empty. I'm carrying about 160 lbs of audio gear so the bags are needed.

I didn't put them in so am not rehearsed with install procedure. Looking at them, I would suggest spring removal as the best way to ensure they don't get pinched and are correctly aligned. Others will have to advise for you.

The air lines exit each bag and the bottom centre and the hose is fed through a hole in the lower spring seat. The hoses are tyrapped in place, running to a tee and then up to the air valve located in the trunk. As you can see, a simple piece of bent stock riveted to the factory brace provides a nice secure professional fit for the valve. Easy access as well.

I did have two separate leaks this spring after car came from storage. These bags were installed several years ago, so all the lines need replacing. I'm going to use lines with a thicker wall than what was provided from the bag manufacturer.

Bruce

Attachments

• LR Bag2.JPG
    LR Bag2.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 157
  • LR Bag.JPG
    LR Bag.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 181
  • RR Bag.JPG
    RR Bag.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 162
  • Trunk Valve Brkt.JPG
    Trunk Valve Brkt.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Trunk Valve.JPG
    Trunk Valve.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
HoseHead said:
The hoses are tyrapped in place, running to a tee and then up to the air valve located in the trunk.

I recommend that you run the lines separately into the trunk so that you can adjust pressure for each side individually. Some guys have had luck with reducing wheel hop by running more pressure in the one side.

I installed mine, but I did the springs at the same time so they were removed.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean,
Understood and wise advice. I don't run this car very hard. But now that I'm retired, I'm going to build another SC for beating on. :D

Thanks guys.

I installed them tonight. Didn't need to remove the springs as there was enough room to get them in there. I ran my lines (two seperate) from the top of the springs and to the trunk, and inflated with 20 lbs

Back