Timing cover replacement

XR7Kurt

Well, the leak from my timing chain cover has returned after it just went away for 7,000 miles. So now I'm going to replace it along with the oil pump and timing chain. I have a few questions:

1) Is there anything else I should replace at this time? The balancer and water pump have already been replaced less than 10,000 miles ago.

2) Is a OEM gasket good or is a Felpro a must?

3) I used a new balancer bolt from Victor(spinningwheels) when I installed the balancer. Does the balancer bolt need to be replaced every time it is removed?

4)Not 100% related, but is there a permanent fix for a leaking thermostat housing gasket? A new housing? Is there an upgrade for the stock housing?

Thanks,
Kurt

No upgrades for the housing currently. the issue is caused by overtightening of the structurally weak housing. Best you can do is take a flat surface cover it with fine emory paper and run the housing back and forth over it turning it as you do, trying to get the surface flattened out and cleaning up any high spots.

The felpro gasket on the timing cover isn't much more special than anything else so oem should work o.k. Felpro does have a front timing cover kit that includes the cover gasket, front cover seal, something for the oil pump and a couple other misc stuff.

Felpro #TCS45826 is for the 93 SC that I got. Should be common for all.

Hi Kurt,
I think there is a hidden 5.5 mm bolt on the timeing cover that has to be removed or else you can screw up the timing cover. Hopefully the experts will post exactly where it is.

You will want to get a late model (94/95) timing cover because the early model ones are no longer avalible from Ford. The cover is the same as the early model except it has provisions for mounting early and late model crank sensors. The new cover will come with the seal already installed.

The oil pump is no longer avalible from Ford either. Melling makes a late model replacement pump #M246 from Summit that will bolt right on and will supply more flow than the discontinued early model pump.

I've used both the Felpro and the Ford timing cover gaskets and the Ford gasket is much better.

IMO, The bolt isn't as much a concern as the balancer itself. If your using the OEM balancer the aluminum inner hub deforms slightly to fit the crank shaft. Each time it's removed and reinstalled the fit will be slightly looser. I've removed and reinstalled a fairly new OEM balancer a couple times and didn't have any problems, so it will probably be okay. The BHJ balancer is made of steel and can be removed and reinstalled without any worries, it's far superior to the OEM balancer so you may want to consider buying one while you have it apart.

T-stat gasket leaks are usually caused by the sealing surface of the stamped steel housing being bent. When it's off the car you can try straightning it or buy a replacement from someone parting a car out.

David

David Neibert said:
IMO, The bolt isn't as much a concern as the balancer itself.

David

I agree except if you don't check for the allen head bolt under the silicone sealer and you break the corner off the timing cover...which I did the first time. Of course, if you are replacing the cover, it reall doesn't matter.

Kurt K said:
I agree except if you don't check for the allen head bolt under the silicone sealer and you break the corner off the timing cover...which I did the first time. Of course, if you are replacing the cover, it reall doesn't matter.

I meant the bolt that holds the balancer on, but yeah that hidden bolt will cause some damage if not removed.

David

Make sure you have a new cover handy as David suggested. I had to chisel off the last couple I have removed from engines due to the long water pump studs corroding to the cover.

Thanks guys. I'm planning on ordering all the parts from Genuine Ford Parts and they say everything they have is oem. The oil pump comes with a new timing chain cover. I was thinking about an upgraded oil pump but since the cover comes with it and the factory one lasted over 200,000 miles I figured it would be good enough, is it?
I recently replaced the balancer so I'm fine there.

Kurt

Personally I'd upgrade to the high volume pump from Melling for insurance. Plus it's the same volume oil pump as the 94/95's which means Ford must have thought it was necessary.

Personally I'd upgrade to the high volume pump from Melling for insurance. Plus it's the same volume oil pump as the 94/95's which means Ford must have thought it was necessary.

I checked the Genuine Ford Parts online catalog and they list a different oil pump/timing chain cover for the 94/95 which is $20 more. I'm guessing it has a higher volume oil pump. If this is true, does anyone know if the timing covers are the same for 89' as a 94/95'? If the timing chain covers are the same then I think I can get a higher volume oil pump from them with the new timing chain cover.

Kurt

Does anyone know if the timing chain covers for an 89' is the same as a 94'/95'?

Thanks,
Kurt

XR7Kurt said:
Does anyone know if the timing chain covers for an 89' is the same as a 94'/95'?

Thanks,
Kurt

Kurt,

No they are not the same, but the Ford 94/95 timing cover will work on an 89 and so will the late model oil pump. The main differince in the timing cover is the mounting location of the crank sensor. The late model cover has provisions for mounting either the late or early style crank sensor. Where the early model cover could only be used on a early model motor (89-93).

BTW, I have a late model cover and oil pump on my 91.

David

Yes - it's BK 6051701. I just realized, however, that it lists the same part number for both supercharged and NA versions of the 3.8 liter. The gaskets are different, which is correct. But I don't remember if the water outlet should be the same or not. The picture looks right, so that's a good sign.

thats the not the water outlet for the SC, it is missing the bypass metal tube and the water temp sensor connector on the side.... so it wont work,

Back