Governor in AOD

Melon

SCCoA Member
Anyone ever change one? Mine needs replacing, atleast that's what Lentech is thinking. What's all involved? Overly difficult? I'm not an expert, but am willing to jump in and work on something when it's needed.

Any tips to go along would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Melon

Not a difficult task to do and can be done well the trans is still in the car. You need to pull the driveshaft back, support the trans under the pan, remove the trans mount cross member, then lower the trans enough to remove the tail shaft mounting bolts, remove the tail shaft exposing the governor, remove the governor retaining ring and slide the governor off of the output shaft being careful not to loose the checkball(little ball bearing). Reverse procedure for reassembly torquing bolts to the specifications. Hope I haven't forgotten anything.

Why does Len think your governor is defective? What are the symptoms?

Good luck.

Bryan

and if the govener body is the only thing that is getting replace and not the counterweigh make sure that everything goes back facing the same direction.i put a boby on backwards and it would lock reverse and overdrive at the same time causing the vehicle not to move.but like stated above.once you get the tailshaft off its no big job at all.

I e-mailed Lentech and described the symptoms that my transmission is showing - and he replied back suggesting that it's a stuck governor.

Here's the e-mail I sent them:
a problem has developed where when the transmission is cold - it will be difficult to get into the next gear. Not sure if I would really call it slipping, because when I check the fluid level - it's good. I have to get the RPM's up to 3000 or so until it will go into the next gear, and if the RPM's drop under 2000 it will downshift to the previous gear. And it never did this before up until recently. Once the transmission is up to temp, it shifts just fine and run greats.

Thanks
-Melon

I have some pictures of a tailhousing removed to see the governer on my website in the link in my sig if it helps any. Mine was broken into pieces but you get the idea. Its pretty easy to do.

Even if the cable/grommet isn't tight like it's supposed to be, would it cause the slipping trans when it's cold?

-Melon

Fix the cable first. Usually the slippage is caused by scorched clutches from not having the cable right. The TV cable is the lifeline of the aod transmission without it even a top notch transmission can turn to scrap quickly.
Alan

But my question is - if the TV cable is out of adjustment, wouldn't it slip all the time? And not just when it's cold?

And reading the article on TCCoA on the TV Cable Adjustment and it doesn't appear to be difficult. Just need someone to hold the gas, and then I pull the TV cable as far as I can, then put the clevis back into the throttle arm grommet.

-Melon

Back