PDA

View Full Version : first start attempt no go

Rick Mink
06-30-2006, 09:20 PM
I tried to start my rebuilt engine today with no luck. Kinda expected that. I'm not getting fuel and I'm not sure where to start. I have a fuel pressure guage attached to the fuel rail. When I turn the ignition switch I don't hear the fuel pump cycle. I replaced the fuel pump to a 255lph and I sodered a new plug connector on the pump harness. obviously, I dont want to have to drop the tank again to mess with the pump unless I obsolutelty have to. Where can I start looking to see why this pump wont cycle. I check the fuse in the engine bay and it seems ok.

Rick

wmullen9638
06-30-2006, 09:41 PM
have you checked for voltage at the pump, or can you even get to the connection w/o dropping the tank?

If not, check for voltage to ground at the fuse. See if its even getting that far.

Also, what year model is it? Most have the enertia switch in the trunk. If it's tripped, you get no fuel. find it, and just push the button I believe.

Rick Mink
06-30-2006, 09:50 PM
the car is an 89sc. I'll have to check the inertia switch. where is the button to reset it?

Rick

ThunderDave
06-30-2006, 09:53 PM
The button for the switch is on top of it. I think it's red.

There' s also a fuel pump relay in the trunk by the inertia switch.

Rick Mink
06-30-2006, 10:32 PM
I found where the inertia switch is but mine doesnt have any button on top of it. there is a red and white wire coming from the switch. how do I test it??

Rick

ThunderDave
06-30-2006, 10:43 PM
You might be able to just run a jumper on the harness that should bypass the switch.

The fuel relays are cheap, like maybe $10 or something like that.
I'm not sure about how to test it.

Rick Mink
07-01-2006, 12:26 PM
ok, here's what I did so far. I removed the fuse and tested to make sure I'm getting 12v. thats fine. I placed a jumper wire between the red and white wire on the inertia switch. the fuel pump still didn't come on. I then tried to read the voltage at the fuel pump via the pink wire with a black stripe, with the ignition on. What kind of reading should I be getting?? I'm not sure If I'm not getting power or if the connector on the fuel pump itself is bad. Still trying not to have to drop the tank or exhaust if I dont have to.
Rick

if anybody has any ideas here feel free to give me a call 610-282-2253. I'm just sitting here getting mader at this thing by the minute.

Rick

ThunderDave
07-01-2006, 10:18 PM
If the fuel pump relay is bad, the pump won't run. I would also think it wouldn't get power to the pump either. If you have tested everything else it could be, maybe it is the relay.

Rick Mink
07-02-2006, 07:41 PM
cool. will try that. thanks man.

Rick

takotruckin
07-02-2006, 11:16 PM
sit at the trunk and have someone turn the key to on. if you hear the relay click it is good. then start thinking about dropping the tank.

Mike8675309
07-02-2006, 11:42 PM
you can test power to the fuel pump by using the self test connector for the EEC-iv. Grab the test connector that looks kinda triangular. The pin in the lower right corner if you're looking at it can be grounded, and cause the fuel pump relay to trip, and the fuel pump to run. If the pump doesn't come on when you're doing that, the EEC will never be able to turn it on, and that's usually a sign they relay is shot, or the pump itself is shot.

mn12sc35th
07-03-2006, 06:04 PM
I would check it at the relay, according to the 89 EVTM, you have everything but the ground for the pump itself right there. Should have 4 wires: White which goes to the intertia switch and then back to the ECU, and is ground for the relay coil. Tan/Light Green that comes from the ECU, and is power for the relay coil. Black/Yellow that comes from the Fuel Pump fuse, and Pink/Black that goes to the fuel pump.

Put the key in run and use a DVOM to check across the Tan/LGreen and White and across the Black/Yellow and Pink/Black. Both sets should have around 12v of power.

If both sets have power, the relay could be bad. To test for sure, jump power to the pin for the Tan/Lgreen wire and ground to the pin for the White wire. Then check for continuity across the other 2 pins. It should be a closed circuit.

If the Black/Yellow and Pink/Black set doesn't, test the Black/Yellow to a good ground, if you have power, theres something going on in the wiring from the relay to the pump or the pump itself. If you get nothing there, the problem lies in the wiring between the distribution box to the relay or the fuse for the pump is bad.

If the Tan/LGreen and White set doesn't, test the Tan/LGreen to a ground, if you have power then theres an issue between the relay, the interia switch, and the ECU (pins 57 and 37). If you're not getting power there, it's between the relay and the ECU (pin 22).

Now if it turns out the relay is working, and your getting power where you should be, the only thing left that could cause an issue is the fuel pump ground, which will probabaly mean dropping the tank. By that point though, it's either the ground or the pump itself.

Rick Mink
07-04-2006, 01:55 AM
Very very good info here. Thanks alot. I just picked up a fuel pump relay like 10 min before the store closed. I'm gonna have to lock myself in the garage in the morning. I ended up removing the exhaust and lowered the taqnk low enough that I could get the wiring harness off the fuel pump. I checked the wiring and every thing seemed ok. not too bad as it only took me a little over two hours to remove everything and put it back together again. I tested the pink and black wire at the tank and got no power. yes I tested the correct one from the chasis. I will try to trigger the fuel pump at the eec test and see what that reveals.

Rick

Rick Mink
07-06-2006, 12:25 AM
total props go out to mike8675309 and mn12sc35th for helping diagnose my fuel pump problem. I was getting power everywhere I should have been getting it. The fuel pump relay was fine but I replaced it anyways, now I have a spare.I tried to ground the fuel pump at the triangular test port and the damn pump didnt start. Its pretty sad that I know every socket, wrentch, extention and vise grips needs to drop the back half of the exhaust, remove the heat shield, and drop the gas tank. Must have done it six times by now. I actually didnt have to drop the tank all the way to the ground. I placed a jack under the front of the gas tank closer to the passenger side.make sure the jack is coming from the rear of the tank to the front, this is important later. I loosened the two rear retaining straps about 3/4 of the way out. I left the gas filler tubes and the line that goes over the drive shaft attached. I the loosened the front passenger side bolt all the way out and supported the gas tank with the jack. once I removed the driverside bolt, that side of the tank dropped a few inches and rested on the exhaust hanger. I could then slide the jack back a few inches at a time until I could acess the fuel pump. I'm glad I only put 3 gallons of gas into the tank, otherwise I would have had to drain the tank. I pulled the fuel pump assembly out of the tank and took it over to my work bench. All of the wiring looked good. The connections and slices were all good, even the harness on the fuel pump itself looked good. Until the damn thing clicked into place!!! it was a damn loud click too. MY gf gave me the whole " you mean to tell me that all this time...blah blah blah. Thanks Captain Obvious. Your astoot powers of observation amaze me. Appearently, when I installed the fuel pump I didnt push the connector hard enough and the fuel pump was never getting any juice. I am such a dumbass sometimes. I ran 12v to the pump harness and amazingly the thing worked. Thats one of the problems with tearing apart a whole car, it takes forrever and a day to diagnos problems. After reinstalling the tank and exhaust I turned the ignition on and got fuel pressure. I'm so excited. MY baby woke up for the first time in three years!!Woot!!Woot!! my gf never heard my car run before. It was very exciting for both of us. Ofcoarse I developed a coolant leak about two minutes into running the engine , but what the hell, It ran!!

Rick

FredSC
07-06-2006, 08:01 AM
it's ALIVE!!!!!!!!!
One step closer to cruisin
Congratulations and good luck!

pablon2
07-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Awesome news! Glad to hear it is running. :)

Rick Mink
07-06-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm so stoked!! next step, move under its own power. I gotta bleed the brakes and I should be aable to take her around the block. as soon as I got everything working and get it inspected I'll do the brake/wheel/tire upgrade. too cool.