PDA

View Full Version : 5.0 Swap into a 93 V6 TBIRD

travis_gleim
07-01-2006, 12:58 AM
I've got a 93 Tbird which originally was equipped with a 3.8 V6 non SC. I've got a 5.0L from an 87 mustang and would like to know what am I going to need to complete this swap. Am I going to need to replace the p/s pump, a/c compressor, all those little switches and valves to be compatible with a 5.0L computer. SHould I use a computer from an 87 Mustang or other year? Totally new to this but I do have some parts knowledge and mechanical technique but I've never done anything on this scale before.

HappyHourHero
07-01-2006, 11:50 AM
i think the mustang 5.0 wont clear the stock hood, so you'll need a hood with some clearence. also you might want to do a little shopping from an sc or 5.0 bird and get a tranny and rear-end, becouse yours will break. im not sure about the real technical stuff but you might be able to use a computer from a 5.0 bird.

x182dan
07-01-2006, 05:14 PM
I am sure you COULD use your complete motor from the 87 mustang GT. The 91-93 5.0 tbirds are more like 94-95 mustangs. You would need to get accessory brackets from a 5.0 tbird, wiring harness from a 5.0 tbird. Throttle bracket from a tbird and also the kickdown cable for the tranny is only 5.0 tbird specific. I am doing the same swap on my 94 sc. There is probably a way to use the 87 mustang motor with the 87 accessories but you would need to hack apart the mustang wiring. What I would do is get the 87 motor and swap all the tbird specific parts over to it. That would be the easiest way

travis_gleim
07-02-2006, 12:08 AM
the only thing i have from the mustang is the engine itself, along with the intakes and injectors. My 93 tbird is completely intact and I was hoping to hear much of it should be useable. I don't mind hearing that I may need a new hood either. This would be a reason to spruce up its looks a bit.

x182dan
07-02-2006, 12:14 AM
the only thing i have from the mustang is the engine itself, along with the intakes and injectors. My 93 tbird is completely intact and I was hoping to hear much of it should be useable. I don't mind hearing that I may need a new hood either. This would be a reason to spruce up its looks a bit.

you don't need a special hood unless you do an aftermarket intake manifold. You can't use the 87 intake. You will need 94-95mustang intake or a tbird one. You will need to get a wiring harness from a tbird also. There are lots of little things you will need like tv cable and bracket which is goning to be hard to find

travis_gleim
07-02-2006, 12:31 AM
tv cable? and why couldn't I use the mustang intake?

x182dan
07-02-2006, 12:48 AM
tv cable? and why couldn't I use the mustang intake?

tbird is different the tbird intake manifold has the elbow on it and the mustang one doesn't unless its 94-95 mustang. The tv cable/kickdown cable/detent cable controls the shifting on your AOD transmission. It attaches to your throttle body and there is a bracket that is on the manifold that holds it in place