Anyone that knows anything about 89-93 LX Thunderbirds...

MustangJake88

I'm talking to a guy that has an extra 3.8 out of a '93 (as he says)....although it's not a 93. The mouldings are black and there are no openings on the front bumper. I think it's an '89...but anyways. Does anyone here know how much horse those engines were putting out? I was told the 3.8 they put in the Thunderbird was slightly different from the one they had in the Mustang. The guy wants to sell the engine and computer wiring harness all to me for 100 bucks. It's got 82k miles on it but the downside is it's got a cracked oil pan and a couple of broken mains ( car was put in ditch ) I was going to drop this engine in my '93 Mustang. Anybody that knows anything about these engines please get back to me with any facts, opinions, hints...whatever. I'm just curious to how this would work out!

Same motor as in the mustang. Only the SC motor is unique.

yes... yes... we're special and don't even have to ride the short bus.

now how would you go about putting that in your 93 mustang? a 93 mustang wouldn't have the 3.8 engine its either a 4banger or a 5.0 in 1993. They didn't put the 3.8s in the mustangs until 1994 and 1986 and earlier

Its pretty much the same engine with different intake and maybe the head ports up until 1996, then the whole engine is just like a stang 3.8 and it looses the black intake runners. Look around before buying a beat up 3.8. I got a good running complete 3.8 with good AOD for 175 bucks. Heck ive seen entire cars going for that much.
As far as power, they dont have much, but would be more fun in a fox stang. Talk him down and go for it. Somewhere I still have a 93LX engine that has blown HG's, but is complete....

x182dan said:
now how would you go about putting that in your 93 mustang? a 93 mustang wouldn't have the 3.8 engine its either a 4banger or a 5.0 in 1993. They didn't put the 3.8s in the mustangs until 1994 and 1986 and earlier
Use the motor mounts out of an '86 Mustang 3.8 and a 5.0 bellhousing on my tranny. It should work fine. I have a friend thats running a '97 3.8 Mustang and it's got a 4-banger transmission on it and it hasn't given him a problem yet. I really would wanna try to fit an SC engine in my Mustang like my uncle (Lilredstang as he is known on here) is doing with his....but I don't make nearly enough money to pay for it.:(

Back