Power Antenna Mast removal

jsue1961

Anybody ever do this? I need to replace my broken mast. In the manual it says to remove the nut and shroud(black plastic), then use a 9/16 socket to remove a retaining nut...I don't see a retaining nut and a 9/16 socket just goes over the top not grabbing anything. Went to the Pick-n-Pull thinking something may be different with my mast at it was the same there.

John

in the fender there is a bracket that the motor is attached to. take the nut off the bracket that holds the motor on and it should come off.

First you need to remove the top nut. It is a different nut than most are not used to seeing. It has 4 slots in it that you need a special tool for, or if you are careful you can use angled needle nosed pliers to remove it. Then you remove the other piece and can see the 9/16 nut. You do not need to remove the motor to replace the mast most times.

birds4us said:
First you need to remove the top nut. It is a different nut than most are not used to seeing. It has 4 slots in it that you need a special tool for, or if you are careful you can use angled needle nosed pliers to remove it. Then you remove the other piece and can see the 9/16 nut. You do not need to remove the motor to replace the mast most times.

Hmmm. I must be missing something. I remove the special nut; did that, then remove the black shroud; did that, then I can see the threads, but I don't see a 9/16" nut. I think I will post a picture when I get a chance.

John

When I did mine I removed the entire assembly from the fender well, since its only held in place with 2 bolts if I remember correctly...and the power cord.

Its pretty easy to see what you have to do once its out.

-Tim

you are going to keep having trouble unless you use the correct tool for it, sometimes they are pretty tight

got a motor and antenna assembly from the pick and pull - $12.00 and a speedometer for $15.00. If anyone has to replace the antenna, go buy the whole assembly it is easier.

John

Back