I'm Making Progress..But.

tattoo

Hey Guys,
Seems im making progress...But im still getting code#542.Fuel pump circuit open, EEC processor to motor ground. Any ideas on how to get this fixed

Last edited:
Have you used the wiring diagrams from the previous post? Do you have power at the inertia switch? Has the switch been triggered?

Hey,
Yes i used the previous drawings.I have power to the switch and the switch hasnt been tripped.....Ideas?

Last edited:
I checked what ground wires i could see and they seemed ok.What area should i be looking in?Im hoping that there is a way to get this done SOON....

I can help....

I just spend days troubleshooting a no Fuel Pressure problem. Here is how it works and it sounds like your answer is fairly straight forward. I have a 92 EECIV in case yours is different but I doubt it.

You turn key to start, which tells EEC to ground the fuel pump circuit, on mine this is pin 22, which happens to be the same lead that goes to the test connector, if you have any service manual (Haynes or Factory) it will show you this connector. When you ground the far left terminal on this connector, labeled in diagrams fp, and key is on, fuel pump should run and pressure go up as normal. This proves fuel pump works, etc. Now without the this terminal jumped to ground. The EEC grounds the fuel pump via internal connection to complete the circuit, but it must get enough voltage about 12volts from the red wire circuit 361, supplied by the IRCM, two common open grounds are the IRCM itself (black wire, I think it is pin 3 on connector) and there is a round connector right next to battery which gets corroded from battery inside, if either of these have bad ground, no fuel pump action...good luck.

Thanks Guys,
Im going to try and solve the problem today.....Charles thanks for the input and link...I hope thats the problem.I had to take a couple hours off from working on the car.Temper seemed to be rising and my patients were spent.So maybe after a good night sleep i get it done.Thanks again guys.I'll keep ya updated.
Regards,Ed.

Still Nothing!!!!!!!

I followed the directions and found everything is grounded and still together.I still cant get it to start.:mad: :mad:

When you get in and turn the key to the run position do you hear the fuel pump run for about 2 or 3 seconds then turn off.Does the pump run at all,do you have fuel pressure.There is a schrader valve on the fuel rail on the driver side beside the blower nose section.

Hey Guys,
First off i would like to thank all you guys for your help.If any of you find yourself out this way the wings and beer are on me.Now to the problem.
Here is what i have so far.
When i turn the key on i hear the pump come on.
I checked the fuel at the schrader valve and its good.
I have power going to the fuel pump relay(which i replaced with a new one)
The inertia switch is not tripped and is getting power.
All my grounds seem to be good.
I changed the Cannister purge solenoid and when i did it seemed like it wanted to fire,it kinda stumbled a little and then nothing.
Im still coming up with code#542.Fuel pump circuit open, EEC processor to motor ground.
And last but not least i am so p***ed off with this car,im ready to snap.Its been down going on 2 weeks......

Did you ever take your EEC out or unplug anything that you put back together? I dont remember how many times Ive taken off my EEC and when I put it back a couple pins in the wiring harness connector were smashed and the car wouldnt start. :rolleyes:
There is also a ground wire on the EEC in the kick panel.

- Dan

The kick panel is located below the glovebox and towards the outside of the car,on the passenger side the computer is located there.You can always try and disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for about 15 min to reset the computer.It will go into relearn mode that way,just in case your car was trying to compensate for something that is not there anymore.

Below the glove box, on the right side .. the little kick panel, that you would take off to get to the EEC. If you havent taken it off the wires should be fine. There are a few ground wires down there.

- Dan

Hey Guys,
I have not touched the kick panel...yet.You say disconnect the neg from the battery.Well i have had it un hooked while i work on it,it has been unhooked for for days.I only hook it up when im trying to start it.Should i leave it connected? for re learning?

No if you have already taken the neg terminal off then that wont fix anything.Just sometimes if the car has had many issues it tries to adjust to adapt to compensate for them.So you still have the same code,if you can clear the codes and see if that helps.

Back