A/C Problems

redxr7

I have installed an new accumulator and o-rings and I am still having problems. I did not change the orfice, condensor, compresor at this point. I need help finding the problem. This is what I have done so far.

I have installed new accumulator and orings. I recharged with new oil (3 oz) and I then charged with 19 oz of 134a. The Compressor cycles about every 90 seconds after this is complete. I dont see any leaks but have not added the die to check for leaks at this point. During the cycle it pressure is at 51-52 then cycles. After it cycle is goes back to 25-26 and then starts the process all over again. Do I need more R134a, compresor, or orfice line. Any Help would be great. Thanks

19 oz i dont think is enought my lx takes 2lbs 2 ounces and thats 34 oz correct?
so 19 is low unless the sc is different but i believe its the same compressor and everything:confused:

some people also exprience compressor failure after retrofitting to r134 a from 12 because r12 the refridgerent/oil circulates through the system to lubricate the compressor where 134a does not so compressor failure could be short coming

Just to give an update I tested the compressor and the compressor does run when using a paper clip to force the compressor to run. Only did that for a few seconds or so. I will put more r134a and give an update.

You need to read the high side pressures as well to properly diagnose any problems. And pressures are relative to ambient temperature. So depending on how hot it is depends on what the low / high pressures will be. On a 85 degree day, low side should be around 26-28 and high side should be around 250-275. R134 pressures run a little higher than R12.
If low side pulls below 22 lbs and high side shoots over 300, you have a blockage possibly in the low side of the system. The oriface usually is the culprit. You can buy an inline replacement kit at any good auto parts place. Runs around 35.00 if I remember correctly. You wil need a tubing cutter to remove the old oriface. The kit comes with directions. Just keep in mind, if there is a lot of trash (black stringy stuff) in the oriface, could mean the compressor is just about to puke!
Good luck.

Last edited:
Back