PDA

View Full Version : need opinion on misfire issue

Merlon
07-02-2006, 05:10 PM
so i have had this car for over 6 months. it had come out of storage, and had sat for a few years. its clean runs okay but it also had a misfire problem when warmed up

i used seafoam and the misfire when warm is almost gone. on occasion is comes back even when not to the middle mark, but only when i accelerate into the boost.

this leads me to believe maybe the plugs neew replacing, after the dirt or whatever came off the injectors hit it.(by me, i mean Ddubb, told me to look into it)

i have also tried octane booster with mmt, and without. so that might add to the bad plug idea.

i replaced the fuel filter, and run 91 octane from either chevron or 76. i can froma cold start go o about 11psi boost, but when the cars warmer, it will miss when going into boost

i dont want to change em, but i want to drive my car more than 15-20 miles at a time, with the option of boost.

i have just replaced my s/c but i dont think its a vaccum leak. i have also used arctic silver 5 on the dis so its really not even warming up.

also would an air dman be benificial? the GM one maybe? i dont have one anymore, think it fell off when i went up a steep driveway once.

Mike8675309
07-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Have you replaced the wires at all?

Best bet, new plugs, and likely a wire has gotten melted a bit. I'd do the new plugs and new wires before going any further with anything else.

92_coupe
07-03-2006, 04:35 AM
Merlon

The air dam / spoiler directs air up to your radiator for cooling when your moving 30 mph or faster so it gives your cooling fans a chance to rest. it also breaks the air that passes underneath the car to improve high speed handling. It is small and not the best spoiler ford has used on their cars if you compare it to the ones that were used on the 70's Boss Mustangs, but it does do some good.
Several members have found that the GM part # 22635885 spoiler used on the Grand Am is bigger and works better it cost $16.55 and with some hardware screws it is a simple / inexpensive mod that will improve cooling and how the air passes under your car.
use the search option and find the post's from a few years back and they have some pics or you can look at mine again anytime ...see ya at the next car show.

EddiE

92_coupe
07-03-2006, 04:54 AM
Your missfire could be plugs or wires....
If you dont know how many miles you have on plugs & wires you should change them. That should cure the missfire trouble. I would also do a oil / filter change also ....with injecting all the chemicals you may have contaminated your oil with carbon. carbon is very abrasive on bearings.

EddiE

Merlon
07-03-2006, 12:50 PM
changed the oil about 400 miles ago, and the fuel filter about 500 miles ago.
ill check into the GM air dam, and also change the plug wireset and plugs.

appreciate the input.