supercharger locked! Fixed today

shadow357x2

Guys and Girls,
My name is Terri, Shadow's wife.
Shadow left for Alabama this morning around 3:00 am, around 10:30 am I called him to see how the car was running (1990 Supercoupe) @ the time it was running good. Just south of Eufala the supercharger locked up, he stopped cut the belt and pulled the spark advance plug
and proceeded to Ozark,Al.
He will head back home tomorrow afternoon via Atlanta instead of the back roads. I'm hoping that some of you guys/ girls ( if he needs help) live somewhere in between here and there.
I will be monitoring the web site for offers of help if he needs it.
Our email address is huskey2@[pbtcomm.net if you need phone numbers

Thank You for any or all help

Sincerely
Terri W ( Shadows wife);)

Last edited:
He should be fine driving with the supercharger belt off till he gets it fixed. See if he can zip tie the bypass valve open. Otherwise advice him not to go full throttle and ease up to the speed limits.

Thx,
I called him and he will tied it open in the morning.
I kinda fell like I know you all, Shadow has told me about so of you.

Have a Happy 4th

I had the same thing happen to one my my superchargers on my SC. It had just been rebuilt by a company in Texas. Turns out they were using regular motor oil in the chargers, and I went through 3 of them before they told me this. If there is a silver lining to it I guess its upgrade time huh? :)

Actually, this is the original one that came on it from ford in 1990.
Besides all of that, the Supercoupe IS my favorite kinda car:)

Last edited:
"SEIZED" Supercharger???

shadow357x2 said:
Just south of Eufala the supercharger locked up, he stopped cut the belt
If the SC Really locked up (like mind did!!!), the belt is already burned off (it takes less than a second to burn the SC belt off when the SC seizes)

When my rebuilt SC seized (solid chunk of immoveable alum), I could only make 25 mph down hill, with the car FLOORED!!!!!

Find out if the SC REALLY seized up, (ie: wont' turn).

Get back to us with more accurate update!!!

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
If the SC Really locked up (like mind did!!!), the belt is already burned off (it takes less than a second to burn the SC belt off when the SC seizes)

When my rebuilt SC seized (solid chunk of immoveable alum), I could only make 25 mph down hill, with the car FLOORED!!!!!

Find out if the SC REALLY seized up, (ie: wont' turn).

Get back to us with more accurate update!!!

68COUGAR

This is as about as Accurate as YOU will ever get!

It's hard to make power when the motor's gettin all of its air from the bypass which is about 1 1/2" in diameter then has to make a 135* turn. LOLz

cougarsc said:
Otherwise advice him not to go full throttle and ease up to the speed limits.

Dont worry....he'll be forced too :D :p

I drove like that for awhile. Im not sure you need to ziptie the BPV open since its always under vaccuum and is always open when the SC isnt running.
Mine stayed open all the time regardless.

hmm

seawalkersee said:
Sooooo....you guys going to look for a new one? A MPIII? Or a 94-5 upgrade?

Chris

TURBO!
TWIN TURBO!
AR!
M112!

Cmon.....do something new!

Well, I got the bird home last night (what a long trip) and started breaking it down this morning. Replaced the broke sc with a spare I had in the shed. Alls well .
Broke down the one I took off and found the front snout bearing burnt all to doo-doo and back. I am guessing that it ran low on oil due to a minor leak in the front seal on the bottom that I failed to see. Guess its time for a rebuild so that I have another spare.

S

shadow357x2 said:
Well, I got the bird home last night (what a long trip) and started breaking it down this morning. Replaced the broke sc with a spare I had in the shed. Alls well .
Broke down the one I took off and found the front snout bearing burnt all to doo-doo and back. I am guessing that it ran low on oil due to a minor leak in the front seal on the bottom that I failed to see. Guess its time for a rebuild so that I have another spare.

S

just wondering how long did it take you just to pull the sc? I need to swap superchargers soon

On the pre egr ones, it only takes about 15 minutes to remove (but Ive done quite a few) I would say that the average person who hasnt done it before could do the r&r in under 2 hours total.

S

Back