PDA

View Full Version : Rear driving lights dont come on

Merlon
07-03-2006, 12:59 PM
When i apply pressure to the brakes, they illuminate, when the hazards are on they illuminate, when i have the headlights on they do not illuminate, unless im using the brakes or hazards, turn signals.

so is this a switch thats at fault, or maybe a loose ungrounded wire?
perhaps someone with a similar problem that has been fixed could give me some insight. or a wiring diagram?

i have auto dim ights, auto headlights, the knob light switch.
i tried different bulbes, and looking to see if somethings disconnected, nothing.

the headlights are aftermarket bulbs, maybe thats causing a problem?
theey are the tokyo/nekoi blue two tones. actually ill switch em out again with the stockers se if that works.

I have had my lights worked on because they wouldnt turn off, so if nothing else i want them to fix them right this time, just as soon as i find that reciept

TwoToneThunder
07-03-2006, 01:05 PM
look to see if the wire under the brake pedal has been damaged that sends the message to the lights when to turn on for braking

Merlon
07-03-2006, 01:20 PM
and they turn on for ahazards, they turn on when i use the turn signals.

they wont come on as running lights at night with the headlights, but will illuminate wwhen brakes hazards turn signals are used.

maybe the switch? fuse? which where ???:confused:
cant drive this car at night, and thats the only time of the 24 dsay i enjoy driving this beast.

birds4us
07-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Did you check for power at the bulb sockets? Are the correct bulbs installed?

birds4us
07-03-2006, 01:28 PM
What was done to fix the previous problem?

Merlon
07-03-2006, 01:31 PM
i had just bought the car, and the light, front lights, onlystayed on, wouldnt turn off. they fied that, but i also hadd seen them wireing the tailights, brake lights, whatever they are called and they wrote it on the reciept. cant find it, they should have it in the computer.

maybe they told me the switch was bad? this was 6 months ago. would that cause problems? they lost the knob to the headlight switxh, so they most liley worked on that.

birds4us
07-03-2006, 01:34 PM
What year car so that I can check a diagram to try to help you.

birds4us
07-03-2006, 01:44 PM
Do your tag light bulbs light up?

Merlon
07-03-2006, 02:07 PM
what are tag bulbs?
they all light up, 3rd brake light and all when the brakes are used. spoiler lights too.

birds4us
07-03-2006, 02:54 PM
There are 2 lights above your rear licence plate that should light up when you turn your lights on.

Merlon
07-03-2006, 03:24 PM
but the drving lights, the left and right turn housing should be on a low level light output, until i hit the brakes. so people can see me at night. got a freaking fix it ticket because of it...not a warning, i was 5o feet from home too.

edit:
so i went outside right now, and looked, the liscence plates lights are a no go now. they used to light up! which ffuse should i be looking at i have a wiring diagram here for my car but its like greek to me.

i have the headlamps with autolamp & delayed exit...shoot. the mechanic just called my car crap, and doesnt know why i love it so much. just becasue there are to many wires? hes a dumbass just tell me this cars to complex for you and work on your hondas. ~~~

birds4us
07-03-2006, 03:29 PM
OK, if your tag bulbs light then I would say it is not the switch. There is a ground located behind the left kick panel assembly. That is one place that I would check, but I would check for power at bulb sockets themselves with a test light.

Merlon
07-03-2006, 03:38 PM
one time a bulb went out, and they all went out, causing like the christmas light effect, where the rest went out along the path. could those tag light not be operational and cause this?

a fuse?

what bulb number?

birds4us
07-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Sounds like you have an incorrect bulb somewhere. The tag bulbs get their power from the same source, but have a different ground. I've never heard of one bulb causing all of the other bulbs to go out. If a fuse was out the tag bulbs would not light as well.

J.D.
07-03-2006, 05:10 PM
The tail lamp bulbs have two filaments, one for turning and braking (turned on by the turn signals, hazard switch, or brake pedal) and the other for parking (turned on by the headlight switch or the autolamps control).
If your front parking lamps work, then check your 10 Amp RR/PK LPS fuse under the dash. This fuse is for the rear parking lamps and licence plate.

mn12sc35th
07-03-2006, 05:36 PM
They're supposed to be 3157's (with 2 filaments), but theres a 3156 I believe that only has 1 filament, but the same base (so it fits in there). You can just twist and pull the socket out and look at em to verify which one it is (look in the center of the bulb, the filaments are pretty obvious, make sure theres 2).

If this is an older car, check your front parking lights. If they don't come on check the fuse for them, because (according to the diagrams I have) the power for the rear lights appears to come from the front lamp fuse and through the headlight switch, before going through the rear lamp fuse. This is for 89s and as far as I've experienced, my 90 and 91s have been the same. I can't say for 92-95.

Merlon
07-03-2006, 06:11 PM
The tail lamp bulbs have two filaments, one for turning and braking (turned on by the turn signals, hazard switch, or brake pedal) and the other for parking (turned on by the headlight switch or the autolamps control).
If your front parking lamps work, then check your 10 Amp RR/PK LPS fuse under the dash. This fuse is for the rear parking lamps and licence plate.
i cant find this. i looked under the dash and the fuses are there, but there are like 20 fuses. s where is this one? there not named either. andi dont want to pull them all out 1 by one to check em.

any pictures diamgrams?

Merlon
07-03-2006, 06:29 PM
in the sunglasas thing. it was burnt out, so i will go buy replacments. now i have to pay a $15 fix it ticket:D :D :D at least it wasnt anything bad like some guy wrecking my car becasue he couldnt see me.

thank you guys.
i really appreciate it. man if i wasnt so poor and underage id buy you all a beer.:D

Merlon
07-03-2006, 06:39 PM
of apc led light bulbs. they got me pulled over, and ticketed, and then replaced those with bulbs, and then i found out the freaking fuse blew. and the tag lights too.

i learned something today apc is like that one freind who is always trying to get you to do stupid stuff. dont buy into it. the end

mn12sc35th
07-03-2006, 07:10 PM
At least it turned out to be something simple ;)

repoman27
07-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Keep a check on your lights as they may go out again. It happened to me in my 92 LX. I would lose all my parking lights and it was always a fuse. SOmetimes the new fuse would blow immediately and sometimes it may last a month. My problem turns out to be a bad groung on an aftermarket radio causing the illumintion wire to ground out and blow the fuse. Just a thought. If your dash lights go out, chances are you've lost your parking lights as thats how ford has them wired. Also, if they stay on all the time then the radio is not wired correctly. Just my .02

Merlon
07-04-2006, 01:01 PM
i am pretty happy about that bieng a blown fuse and burned out tag lights. dont know why they burned out and why the fuse went out. maybe like i said the apc led light bulbs.