PDA

View Full Version : Tried to start my car and blew a 150A fuse

V6Sprout
07-03-2006, 08:23 PM
I know its a mustang but its got the SC motor in it, but maybe you guys can help me with the electrical issues.

So we got everything done that was needed to get the car started, it cranked 2 times very slowly then blew the inline 150A fuse I have running from my battery int he trunk to the front. Now I use to run a 150A fuse here but moved it to the alternator wires which also runs tot he trtuck to the kill switch.

SO I ahve the alternator running a 1g waire right to the kill switch and the battery running to the kill switch then one wire off the kill switch to an inline fuse then to the fuse box up front. The alternator fuse did not blow but the alt never really got a chance to put out power so I don't think thats the issue. I can't see any grounds causing this to happen, any ideas?

Basically all I need to do now is hook up both front and rear brakes and install a driveshaft.

XR7 Dave
07-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Your starter draws more than 150amps. You'll have to run the cable straight to the starter from the battery. Make sure it's well protected and you have a manual cuttoff because you can't run a fuse or breaker.

CMac89
07-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Most starters draw about 200-250 amps.

V6Sprout
07-03-2006, 09:53 PM
I use to run a 200 amp fuse but switched it over to my alternator wire. Never had an issue with it before with the 200. Good point though. My battery runs to the fuse panel where it meets up with the starter power wire, thats the way it was from the factory, onlynow the battery is a little farther away. I have a cut off switch on the trunk as per NHRA rules for trunk mounted batteries. Last year the starter was not connected to the cut off switch so thast something I did change for this year.

Also I was thinking. (uh oh I know)

Anyways, the ground wire that comes off the wiring harness won'treach my battery any more for some reason, so I grounded it tot he k-member, but I also have a heavy duty ground strap running from the starter to the k-frame, could this cause my resistance? Even though the starter is grounded tot he k-frame and the orginal grround wire is as well, maybe its getting resistance there? I mean the starter turned twice very slowly and then blew the fuse. I tried to stretch the stock ground wire tot he starter but for some reason its not reaching.

Also all my wires are striaght and not kinked, use rubber clamp and self taping screws and have groumets every where I can, a few places don't but I am going to put silcone around the wire as a fail safe. The clamps are all good and tight so the wire is not going anywhere.

7birdslater
07-03-2006, 10:43 PM
I would make a really good ground right on the starter and get rid of that fuse. As mentioned above they draw more current than that without the long stretch of wire to the trunk. Add that in with a less than adequate ground and there is your fuse blowing. Good luck!

V6Sprout
07-03-2006, 10:45 PM
I would make a really good ground right on the starter and get rid of that fuse. As mentioned above they draw more current than that without the long stretch of wire to the trunk. Add that in with a less than adequate ground and there is your fuse blowing. Good luck!

if I have no fuse then won't something else blow? Like a fuse in the distribution box? I just don't want anythign else to blow, I am gonna fix that ground wire and connect the stock one sonehow, gotta make it reach, but right now the starter is grounded solidly to the frame.