? ABOUT brakes !

FFbigjim707

i have a 1995 bird sc i am in the middle or replacing my front upper control arms so while i am doing this i figured i would look at the brakes for the hel of it and notice the thin metal backing plate that connects to the brake pad has some how started pulling or ripping away from the brake pads .on one of them it also seems like the backing plate started to almost roll up part of the pad while trying to rip its self off of the pads theses pads has maybe 10 to 12.000 miles on them what the h3LL would cause this thanks james

Are you talking about the metal part of the pad itsself or the thin shim? If the shim is rolling up, do not worry about it. It was installed improperly but is not a big deal if it slips out. If it is the pad itself, then you have junk pads on there and should replace them.

Chris

They are just the shims and, are there to help eliminate brake squeel. You can use a small amount of anti-squeel compound to re-secure them; but if they are torn up I'd remove them and just use a bead of the squeel compound.

About brakes

Dont worry too much about the shims unless you have brake noise. Just make sure pads are wearing equally on both sides and arent too thin. Always buy quality replacement pads, you can tell them because they will have new shims with them.

Back