Check Engine Light (code 214)

BirdofPray

'95 T-Bird 5speed

Getting Code 214 CID error, wondering what I should suspect the most?

The CMP, the PCM, or the wiring?

This is a check engine light coming on when engine warm, and in stop and go type situtations. Once the engine is hot it doesn't appear go come on anymore, until allowed to cool, then restarted. Generally it doesn't happen until the engine gets a little warm too.

-Andrew

Last edited:
Maybe the cam sensor. Does your tach stay at 0? Does the crank and crank before finally starting? My car just did all that, I swapped the cam sensor from my '89 to the '91 in about 20 minutes and now everything is fine.

Bad cam sensor? Dunno?

Normally it starts without a problem, and the tach seems to be working fine.

Hmm... Has anyone who has replaced a cam position sensor noticed problems with the Tach?

What is the difference of function between the cam position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor?

-Andrew

It's more than likely your cam sensor. Yes, the cam sensor can wig out your tach. But a bad cam sensor doesn't necessarily screw the tach.

On my '94 I had a 214 and it bucked pretty bad at slow speeds. Replaced cam sensor and it fixed it. My tach was NOT messed up.

Dale

Hmm, I kind of get this feeling I'll need to replace the cam sensor on my '89 then. I just bought the car today for $750 (nice shape!) and the tach will usually stick around 1,000 RPM, and when I rev it up it'll jump up to 4-4,500 and and jump around a bit.

The car starts right away and runs great, but I know the sensors are cheap so I may as well just get it taken care of.

Started Flashing that Code on Monday!

Damn...Im getting the same code too. My car starts fine, and my tach doesnt jump around...have any othr Ideas of what it could be? I have a 94 SC...so our cars are very simallar...tell me if you find anything else out.

Thanks
Sean McL

Repair Intentions

I'm going to replace my cam position sensor, and see what happens. Probably tomorrow or Friday. I'll tell you the results

Here's another question just for you to check on. Are both of your jumpers in place (SPOUT connector and Octane Adjust connector)?

When I first bought mine, one of them was not in. I'm not 100% certain if I got the code after I replaced that jumper (I don't recall which one was not in place).

Dale

Camshaft Sensor replaced

I just got finished replacing the camshaft position sensor, and gave it a test drive, that normally would have been enough to light the check engine light, and it seems to have fixed the problem. Hasn't been tested much yet though.

Necessary parts

1 - new camshaft position sensor
1- 18mm socket and wrench (for belt removal)
(maybe you can do it without removing the belts)
1- 7mm socket and extension and wrench

sensor replacement

hey man how difficult was replacing the camshaft sensor?
Did you pull the whole thing out or just replace the top part of the sensor?

check engine light (engine code 214)

I am also getting the check engine light (intermittenly) with no real change in performance. It's more annoying that anything, but I do want the check engine light to be available for any other problem that arises. I was reading most of the posts to replacing the camshaft position sensor to solve the problem as I have read the factory service manual to see how it was done. But, I thought I would go ahead and put the engine at #1 cylinder 1-26 degrees TDC before removing the old and replacing with the new. I know the book says that you just have to take off the old and put on the new unless you are taking out the housing as well. Then you have to use the Syncro Positioning Tool and all that stuff. I was wondering if anyone out there had to set the engine as mentioned above before the new sensor would fit in? I am getting ready to try and replace it. Being an aircraft mechanic, I do have "some" mechanical ability, but I relate this "sensor" thing to the magnetos on an aircraft engine and it's hard to see why you would not have to set the engine before sensor removal. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Don't go to all the trouble of centering at TDC. The sensor is just a cap on top of the housing. It would be a waste of time unless you are buying an entirely new cam sensor with the housing to slide onto the cam. By the way for anyone interested O'reily's has a Borg-Warner that has lifetime waranty.

theid

Back