PDA

View Full Version : reinstalling sc tubes

thundrburd
07-05-2006, 05:36 PM
when you reinstall the sc tubes do you have to put any type of sealer on them ? I am getting ready to install a new altenator on it, and it looks like I need to remove the tubes to do so, and dont want any leaks when I put everything back together

thanks

Tony

Tickler
07-05-2006, 05:46 PM
The top tube and blower top connections will require a thin bead of RTV Silicone, preferably copper upon reassembly.

nickleman60
07-05-2006, 05:46 PM
buy a set of wynns(texas thunderbirds) i/c gaskets as they are the best thing going in ease and reliability and they're reuseable.

David Neibert
07-05-2006, 05:59 PM
when you reinstall the sc tubes do you have to put any type of sealer on them ? I am getting ready to install a new altenator on it, and it looks like I need to remove the tubes to do so, and dont want any leaks when I put everything back together

thanks

Tony

Tony,

Remove the SC top and upper IC tube as one unit, don't unscrew the big nut. Reseal top top with a thin layer of RTV, reaseal upper tube with a 1/4" bead of RTV smeared down to about 1/8" thick and 1/2" wide.

I use Permatex Copper (orange) RTV.

David

thundrburd
07-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Ok, thanks guys

Dave , do you have any suggestions about my other post about low boost at take off ??

Thanks

Tony

David Neibert
07-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Ok, thanks guys

Dave , do you have any suggestions about my other post about low boost at take off ??

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

I think your bypass valve may be sticking. Sometimes the linkage gets bound up against the back edge of the supercharger top. Or it might be hot like Damon said and the EEC is pulling timing making it feel like more of a slug than it already does when its 97 degrees outside. SCs do not like hot humid weather, that's why I very seldom race my car in the summer.

David

Jeremy_K
07-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Don't remove any tubes if you're just swapping the alternator because you don't need to.:)
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=375815&postcount=7

Kurt K
07-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Don't remove any tubes if you're just swapping the alternator because you don't need to.:)
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=375815&postcount=7
If you have a stock IC, that is true. However, I found out the hard way that with my Spearco IC (or possibly, a double IC) you cannot remove the lower pivot bolt because it hits the IC core. Next time, my thicker IC core won't affect me because I shortened the bolt :cool:

CMac89
07-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Copper RTV makes everything look ugly. It doesn't matter what RTV you use really. I always used either black or silver. High temp is for exhaust stuff.

David Neibert
07-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Copper RTV makes everything look ugly. It doesn't matter what RTV you use really. I always used either black or silver. High temp is for exhaust stuff.

I think the orange stuff is pretty....reminds me of a Hemi. BTW, Dave Dalke wouldn't let me use orange RTV when installing the top on my AR because he thinks it's ugly too.

David

rickbtbird
07-07-2006, 02:39 AM
I think the orange stuff is pretty....reminds me of a Hemi. BTW, Dave Dalke wouldn't let me use orange RTV when installing the top on my AR because he thinks it's ugly too.

David
It's not ugly if you can't see it.

Tickler
07-07-2006, 03:06 AM
A razor blade cleaned the orange gunk off my blower, not the blood however.